HUGELY increased appetite after GI stasis??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emay75

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Lemon recently suffered his first bout of GI stasis. Took him to the vet for critical care and pain meds, and he's back to full health.
However, in his recovery his appetite has increased massively. I've never seen him so excited for fresh hay and new veggies before, but now he's eatings both at a much faster rate. His interest in pellets has stayed about the same.
I'm just curious as to why his appetite has increased so much, it makes me nervous that something else is now wrong with him. He has also started laying in the "sprawl" position more often, but doesn't seem lethargic or uncomfortable like when he had stasis.
I'm wondering if perhaps he was just uncomfortable before and now he is more comfortable now so eating more and sitting more relaxed?
Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks all.

i feel like i'm going crazy!
he's still super active, completely normal poops, but i feel like he's hunching not loafing and sprawling in a bad way. also slightly squinted eyes, but maybe he's just relaxed?
if he was still unwell would he be eating so much, peeing and pooping normally?

I wouldn't expect a rabbit to be eating, pooping, and peeing normally if they were uncomfortable due to digestive pain. At least no rabbit I've ever had has acted this way. Is he actually eating more, or just eating the usual amount but consuming it in a shorter amount of time? Is he still on any of his meds, and if so, which ones? And has his food changed at all, like a different type or batch of hay?

I wouldn't expect a rabbit to be eating, pooping, and peeing normally if they were uncomfortable due to digestive pain. At least no rabbit I've ever had has acted this way. Is he actually eating more, or just eating the usual amount but consuming it in a shorter amount of time? Is he still on any of his meds, and if so, which ones? And has his food changed at all, like a different type or batch of hay?

maybe its just the normal amount of food in a shorter amount of time, i've noticed that when i give him extra greens for example, he actually doesn't eat them again till later on. his food hasn't changed at all. he's munching happily on hay right as i'm typing this so fingers crossed i'm just being paranoid. (also he's off his meds now, he was on 0.45mls of Metacam 2x daily for 3 days.)
thanks for the reassurance that a bunny in digestive pain wouldn't be acting as Lemon is! :)

Latest posts

Back