Huge gash where my rabbits dewlap was....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree Kipcha. I think it is harsh to say the person should not get another pet ever again without knowing them personally. You can tell the poster loves their pet a lot. Yes, the rabbit needs to see a vet and it is unexcusable to not bring the rabbit to a vet. If the person cannot afford surgery it would be kinder to the rabbit to have it euthanized rather than suffer.

I agree that you can't judge without knowing the person, however there are some questionable decisions that have been made (and not made) here.

I've had a lot of unexpected vet bills this year to the tune of a few thousand dollars, and recently was put in a position of having to sell some jewelry, and subsequently my Canon Rebel camera, to afford some of the vet care. I did what I had to do. I've worked off vet care at the office by cleaning cages, litter boxes, etc. If you show the vet you are earnest, they will almost always help.

Loans were offered to help out here, so money really wasn't an issue here; it came down to not pride, but ego, that may have precluded this rabbit getting the vet care it needed, at least up to the last post.
Who knows, hopefully we are all wrong and the rabbit has gotten help, and the OP just hasn't been back....

Wow this is hearth breaking! The poor rabbit is in pain and suffering and her owner is making excuses to avoid treatment. I understand that money can be tight at times, I had an old cat who had a stroke. I called the vets and found one who would put him down and let me pay later.

I have worked in a shelter and to not do anything when your animal is in pain is animal abuse. If animal control knew about it the animal would be seized and the owner could be charged with neglect. You sure would not allow your child too have a huge open wound until you could afford a doctor right?
Any good Vet will not allow an animal too suffer and if they can not treat them they will euthinize. Euthiniza means "A good Death" letting her suffer and die at home is in no way a humane way to die.

Ok, now this is kinda turning into gossip. Though people don't agree with how someone cares for their animal, I'd say we can probably stop bad-mouthing them about now.

Is she drooling? Do her mouth and teeth look normal and healthy? If not this could be Saliva Burn. A vet will have to treat it. It's probably not Saliva Burn but I'd check everything that it could be. I strongly reccomend anything the vets can do to help. Good Luck.

:pray:

Stop judging the owner. She's going through a rough time and she's just concerned about her bun. This isn't a gossip site. We're here to help so if you're not helping or supporting her, don't bother saying anything.

Unfortunately this kind of stuff gets people passionate. No-one wants to see a bunny clearly suffering greatly and it's infuriating when an owner seemingly refuses to help the pet when they have the money offered on a silver platter by caring people.

But it's right that being rude or judgemental in this thread or attacking the owner is not going to help at all. However you must be able to understand people's upset and anger at this topic.

I hope we hear from this owner soon but unfortunately it has been so long I am not holding my breath. I am hoping that the bunny is okay though, against all the odds.

Jen

I am planning on trying to get a hold of the owner of the rabbit and see how the rabbit is. I will post on here if I hear from the owner. Hopefully she will respond to me.

JimD wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:
However you must be able to understand people's upset and anger at this topic.

If the opinion is not constructive or resourceful.....it should not be posted.

I never implied it should be posted. I simply said you can't be shocked that people can't understand why someone would ask for help and then refuse it when it comes to the pain of an animal.

If you actually read what I wrote the sentence before the one you quoted, I said that attacking the owner or insults etc. will not help at all, even though you can understand it.

Really can't stand people putting words in my mouth and correcting me on 'them'.

Makes me afraid to post anymore. Might have to heed this.

Jen

Did not mean to upset anyone including pet owner, please acccept my apology I'm sorry. Pet ownership is a responsibility to something other than your amusement. Proper observation and care can prevent an injury to turn into a disaster. I still don't think anyone should own a pet if they can't afford regular vet bills. Good luck to you and I hope you found someone to help you with the care of your sick bunny. He deserves not to be in pain. Hawaii's not the only state with employment problems, it's the entire country.

Ok I am going to ask at this point no one post unless it is an actual update. We can not have this thread bumping other threads down with just more of the same.

The reason why i did not reply back to this post is because i feel like i'm not even welcomed in my own post.

This is about MY RABBIT, not me. None of your bad judgements towards me has helped my situation for my rabbit.

All i wanted was some support.

And as for my financial problems, i'm not the only one in this world. So don't think just because you have probably more money than me that you can talk down on me about it. Like i said, i have money to support my rabbits.

TO THOSE WHO DO CARE ABOUT MY RABBIT AND NOT ME: She is doing very well :) She did not need surgery, and SHE DID GO TO THE VET(tto those who assumed otherwise, she DID GO). After cleaning it for a week or two, it dried up & her fur is growing back..
She is also getting her molars trimmed so this incident doesn't happen again.

I would like to specially thank: Pipp, Brittany85, plasticbunny, & watermelons. And for the rest of you who have posted a POSITIVE reply to me. Your replies did make a difference.

Yay I'm glad she's doing well :D I was sad that people were posting discouraging replies in this thread because it certainly didn't make you feel comfortable about updating us on your bunny's condition.

Latest posts

Back