Huge gash where my rabbits dewlap was....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teeth grinding is REALLY not good... She must be in quite some pain.

I understand vets are expensive (Funds are pretty tight here and I recently spent over $500 just to find out what was wrong with my rabbit, so I do understand your predicament) but this bun needs to go ASAP. If people on here are offering money, take it as an IOU and go. I can see your putting in an honest effort, but I think flying her to another island would probably put more stress on her now then she can afford, especially in pain and not wanting to eat.

I would take what you can and take her to the nearest rabbit savvy vet. Purely out of curiosity, how much is the vet quoting you? That must be pretty expensive if flight is cheaper...

I really hope for the best for you and your bun... I really hope everything works out for you :(

Yes the teeth grinding is a sign of pain as all have mentioned above. Are you taking her today since you get paid today? Definatly take any money that is offered to go toward her treament and get her to the Vet you choose as soon as you possibly can. We are all anxious to hear the outcome of her vet visit. Hang in there girl. If you have any access to a willow tree (not sure if they grow in hawaii) you can try feeding her willow , it is a natural pain releiver and can give her some releif. You also may want to get some jello and syringe feed her the jello beore it sets. It can settle her tummy and the sugar will stimulate her appitite. Follow that up with some baby gas drops and I would give 2 full droppers at the least 3 times a day unless directed otherwise. These are safe over the counter products that can help with her tummy. Bunny tummies are easily offset from pain / not eating and this could help her. I am in in no way a vet but can only suggest treaments that I have done myself with good results and I know are safe.

Kipcha wrote:
Teeth grinding is REALLY not good... She must be in quite some pain.

I understand vets are expensive (Funds are pretty tight here and I recently spent over $500 just to find out what was wrong with my rabbit, so I do understand your predicament) but this bun needs to go ASAP. If people on here are offering money, take it as an IOU and go. I can see your putting in an honest effort, but I think flying her to another island would probably put more stress on her now then she can afford, especially in pain and not wanting to eat.

I would take what you can and take her to the nearest rabbit savvy vet. Purely out of curiosity, how much is the vet quoting you? That must be pretty expensive if flight is cheaper...

I really hope for the best for you and your bun... I really hope everything works out for you :(

I just read that should could have some type of dental disease or some sort. I don't take money from people, I'm working extra hours and i will get her in as soon as possible. I dont have pet insurance on her. So just admitting her is 150, if she was to get surgery over 500 depends on how much they have to do and what they need to do and if she was to get medicine it would be in the hundreds.

Heres why i dont take money: My parents got sent to jail when i was 2 months old. I have 6 older brothers, and the oldest is 18 years older than me. He and his wife at the time took custody of me. Both my parents were drug addicts. My dad got sent to prison for 9 years, and my mom was sent to jail for 6 months at the time. My mom has been in and out of jail my whole life. I only had one birthday with her, which is the day i was born. I never had no christmas's, 1 easter but she was too hungover to take me to easter egg huting, and 1 thanksgiving that turned into a big mistake. But Yup, my brother gave me a fat first birthday that my mom could never do. Unfortunately, my brother went to jail when i was 8 years old and did not come out til i was 12 years old. By the time was 10, my dad got out of jail. He made a promise to me that he was never going to leave me ever again. He promised that he will not touch drugs or do bad things. He said he had a horrible time, knowing that he had me in his arms and then the next moment he was in prison for 9 years. The way he saw me grow up, was through pictures that my brothers wife sent(my brother does not like our parents because of what they done, and all my brother wanted to do was keep me away from them because he could do better). Today, me and my mom has no relationship. She hates me with a passion, in her words. Since my dad has been out of jail, he has not done drugs(i have a drug test kit that i use on him randomly), gotten arrested, hes off parole, he got his g.e.d and he has his own business now. I just wish i had the same relationship with my mom, but she chose meth over me. So what i learned since i was young, not to rely or depend on ANYONE. Because usually when people walk into my life, they walk out on me and disappear for years.

That was off-topic, but i just wanted to get that clear that i will not take anyones offer for money. I'm sorry, i just don't feel right taking someone else's hhardwork. I do appreciate it, i wish everyone in this world could be like you all!(esp. my mom):innocent

The string hanging down is likely a flap of skin that she's chewed free from one side. She will not live through this. If you do not get her help, she will die. If you cannot afford the care you need to surrender her to a shelter so they can care for her. If that is not an option, you need to scrape together the funds to have her euthanised. It would be kinder for you to put her down then let her sit in pain while this wound festers.

You will get nothing but support here for any action you take, so long as you are doing something. It is absolutely not an option to care for her at home at this point. Unfortunately, these things do happen, but it is up to us as their caregivers to make the tough calls.

Two weeks ago, my rabbit contracted pneumonia, and even with antibiotics, she got worse. It took me two days to come to the decision to put her down, but it was too late. She drown in her own congestion in the car on the way to the vet. I thought that I was giving her a chance at life when all I was doing is prolonging her suffering and she died a horrible death. Your rabbit is obviously suffering, and it is your responsibility to either provide adequate care (which is likely a very expensive surgery) or to make the tough decision.

You need to bite the bullet and take the money that is offered and combine it with your own. Do not let your rabbit suffer your past, it's not her fault nor is it yours. The deck of cards you were handed years ago are no longer in play in this situation I understand how you do not want to take someone elses hard earned money but I bet your poor bunny begs to differ. It's her life and pain not yours. Buck up and take it and take her now. I have had to take donations to save a pet of mine in the past. I had the donators call the vet directly and pay over the phone. Yor rabbit is not going to survive this without a vet. If you cannot afford the full treatment than at least take the money to do the humane thing and have her euthanized. I dont mean to sound bitter but this is a life and she is suffering. As Plasticbunny says, we will all support you and your desicion as long as something is being done and all efforts are being made on your end. PLEASE!

I agree, she isn't going to survive if she doesn't get to a vet quickly. I understand not wanting to take money from someone but you can choose between your rabbit's life and your pride. My offer still stands :)

I'm really sorry to hear about your past situations, but the fact is you are responsible for a life (you made yourself by your own choice by getting her), and this life is suffering. You therefore are obligated to do whatever is necessary to keep her healthy and happy. If you can get ahold of money, given to you in good spirit by friends here, when your rabbit is in a huge amount of pain, you should jump at the chance, rather than let past experiences deter you from it, that doesn't have anything to do with money situations, even though it is terrible what has happened to you.

Good luck with everything and I hope everything works out for your baby.

Jen

We live several hundred miles from my family by choice. Won't go into the details, but, I know how you feel. I can depend on friends to a certain extent, but just don't trust family as they've been a disappointment. You need to get help for your bunny any way you can as she is depending on you alone. :pray:

I doubt we will ever see an update from this person. Her profile shows that she was last seen Aug 20, and even though there were a few new responses to this thread, she didn't respond. I guess we just said what she didn't want to hear and has chosen to ignore.

I'm glad she didn't respond. I don't think I could handle one more excuse why she couldn't provide care to her pet, her RESPONSIBILITY, without losing it.

Hi, I am willing to help out in the amount of a small donation.

Today I just spent $374.00 on Smudge's spay, plus extra for antibiotics and a few other minor things.

I always keep money aside, even when I was unemployed and always willing to help people out when they are in a pinch. A few years ago I paid $35 for my friends Hamster visit to the vet when it got sick and needed its teeth trimmed and some antibiotics.

I'm watching for updates too. Hopefully we can keep the thread clear of comments that might deter the owner from posting an update.

Then I will wait for an update on this thread. Because I do have a comment about this thread. I hope that the bunny has received vet care.

You shouldn't have an animal if you can't afford to care for it when it gets sick. They're not plants or stuffed animals. I'm so tired of posts like this. You're so irresponsible and if this rabbit dies do not get another pet you can't take care of.

bunnymother22 wrote:
You shouldn't have an animal if you can't afford to care for it when it gets sick. They're not plants or stuffed animals. I'm so tired of posts like this. You're so irresponsible and if this rabbit dies do not get another pet you can't take care of.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with this entirely. I think that even with a ton of planning, something can blindside you. For example, we were just hit by an enormous number of vet bills from Peace's Abcess ($600+), Ty's kidney failure ($500+) andBuzz's eye ($200+), as well as the our car breaking down at the same time ($1200+). That amount of money can catch anyone by surprise, and I don't think it is fair to judge necessarily when there is more then one variable in the equation. Sometimes, stockpiled money drains suddenly and a lot of things go wrong at once.

I do not believe it is fair to judge someone that far because you have no idea who this person is or what else may have been going on in this person's life.

HOWEVER, that being said, this rabbit definitely needs a vet and something needs to be worked out, even if you cannot pay the money upfront. There really is no reason to deny the donations that have been offered by other members.

I hope for a ++Positive++ update on this bunny and hope that they did the right thing and got the money together.

Latest posts

Back