How to tell the difference between teeth grinding and purring

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, I’ve been hearing some teeth sounds from haru and I don’t know if she’s in pain or not, she does it while she’s loafing, and I’m not sure if she’s loafing or if she’s hunched..
The sound that she makes is a bit loud, i can hear it if i was sitting next to her without sticking my ear to her face, it’s like if we were trying to chew on nuts, and it’s only two clicks every few minutes..
She doesn’t binky much but she flops all the time..

She also does the sound when i pet her..

Generally contented tooth purring is more like soft clicking or chattering, and tooth grinding from pain is harsher and louder. But to really know the difference, you usually have to take it in context with all of their other behavior. When a rabbit is acting and behaving normally otherwise, but does this sound when they are laying down or when you are petting them, it's likely to be contented tooth purring. If a rabbit is behaving oddly, not eating like they normally would, acting less active and lethargic than they normally would, showing signs they feel uncomfortable, then it's likely to be tooth grinding from pain.

My rabbit, usually teeth purrs when it's being pet to show enjoyment, he doesn't really purr if we don't show affection, not sure about other rabbits though. Sometimes when rabbits grind their teeth there is heavy breathing accompanied by it, I found some videos of rabbits teeth purring and rabbits teeth grinding. Hope this helps !

P.S. Make sure to turn the sound up, rabbits are very quiet and it can be hard to hear them!

Bunny Purr :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYI2qV5oVOI
Bunny teeth grinding :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-Ppx2WTp8&feature=emb_logo

Yet another sensible question,congratulations.never be afraid to ask what might be obvious because it sometimes isn't,and in the case of tooth grinding it's very confusing at times and also,of course,varies from one animal to another.the advice above is great,in trems of taking other factors into account,but now and again it worries the owner(including me!) when an animal is happily relaxed on your knee and starts to tooth grind.Soft noises are of no concern,but occasionally they will really get into it and it does make you suspicious of whether they have a bit of discomfort somewhere.I suppose the truth is that,try as we may,whether we're a vet or an ordinary keeper,we can't know everything and can't be right all the time.We just have to honestly do our best and go with our gut feeling and our knowledge of that particular animal.Keep asking the questions,that's the only way to learn!

Generally contented tooth purring is more like soft clicking or chattering, and tooth grinding from pain is harsher and louder. But to really know the difference, you usually have to take it in context with all of their other behavior. When a rabbit is acting and behaving normally otherwise, but does this sound when they are laying down or when you are petting them, it's likely to be contented tooth purring. If a rabbit is behaving oddly, not eating like they normally would, acting less active and lethargic than they normally would, showing signs they feel uncomfortable, then it's likely to be tooth grinding from pain.
Would they flop even if they’re in pain?today I took her to get groomed, it was a long trip and she was scared and didn’t eat for 6 hours.. she ate a few strands of hay on the road, since we got back she’s been mad and doesn’t want anyone, she ate her pellets, veggies, a small piece of orange, and a little bit of hay, she flopped for a bit, then loafed and made a lot of teeth noises that made me worry, it’s every few seconds, and it sounds like when we get cold and our teeth starts clicking..

Just make sure it doesn’t get serious my bunny will purr even when we’re not touching her

Does it sound squeaky or like chewing? Squeakier means grinding, chewing noises is purring:)

Does it sound squeaky or like chewing? Squeakier means grinding, chewing noises is purring:)
How does squeaky sound like?as I said, it’s two different noises, one is like when we chew on or ice or nuts, it’s every few minutes.
The other one is like when our teeth clicks because we’re cold, and it’s every few seconds.
My best friends bunny just died today and I got very worried for haru..

Help, she’s been flopping and loafing a lot, she doesn’t do anything other than eating or sleeping, and the teeth noises, she’s a bit gassy but she’s been like that for a few months now and it didn’t seem to bother her, her ears are a bit cold. Could it be that she’s not feeling okay because she got stressed a lot yesterday?or is she sick?

Latest posts

Back