How to swich a bunny's hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny is 3 and a half months old i had her for a month now and i dont know how to swich her from alfalfa hay to Timothy hay i tried putting a little in her litter box but she eats over most of it and then i tried to fill a toy of hers with it and she will eat a little but mostly wants the alfalfa any suggestions will be great thank you

I've never had to swap my rabbits' hay as they've all been on grass hay mixtures from the start, but here are some pointers that i've read others mention.
How long ago did you first put timothy in with the alfalfa? Some rabbits are stubborn and will wait days or even weeks to taste a new thing.
You can try offering singular strands of tim. to see if she'll take it, maybe even gently poke her with it until she gets frustrated and tries to take it. Another option can be slowly swapping the ratios of alfalfa to grass hay. Add some tim hay every time you refresh hay and reduce the amount of alfalfa by that. Then, when her alfalfa runs out and she's hungry, there's nothing to eat except the new grass hay. With that, you do need to be on the lookout that she wouldn't go too long without eating any hay.

Start reducing alfalfa hay, free feed grass hay(timothy etc), and keep an eye on eating and poop size to make sure bunny fecal balls don't start getting too small because bun refuses to transition onto grass hay. You can also try different types of grass hay like different cuts of the timothy(2nd, 3rd, etc), or a different variety of grass hay like orchard or oat instead of timothy.

Another reason why I hate rabbit sites recommending feeding alfalfa hay instead of grass hay to young rabbits.

Latest posts

Back