How to stop the circling when bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunniebinky

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Currently trying to bond my male and female (both neutered) and my male doesn’t like when my female humps him which leads to circling of him trying to get on top of her.

I can’t keep this behaviour going and I’m looking For help and ideas to stop this!?
I really don’t want the circling to lead to full fights.

There neutered since January, it’s mostly the male will circle as he doesn’t want my female on his back (she’s a diva, she wants to be too bun).
I start bonding each day at 7/8 in the morning as that’s the time they are mostly sleepy at so there not that active. I’m a college student so I unfortunately can’t do the 24/7 bonding and will have to take it day by day in the neutral area set out of them

I would use a broom(gently), gloved hand, etc, so you don't inadvertently get bit, to break up the circling when it starts to happen. Circling will almost always escalate into something worse, so you just don't want to let it get that far. Then do other things to try and distract the behavior, like put in a new handful of hay, or if giving them their veggies or an activity(eg. paper to shred, rabbit safe branches to chew, cardboard box to explore) together doesn't result in squabbles, you could also try something like that. But you just don't want to add anything to their bonding area that is going to cause increased tension and territorial guarding.

It can take time for them to sort out the hierarchy issues. A little chasing, nipping, minor fur pulling, will sometimes happen as they do this, but you just don't want to see the behaviors escalating into excessive chasing or nipping, or circling. Those situations always need to be intervened with.

Latest posts

Back