How To Soothe The Hormonal Beast?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVIE

~RUBY AND ROSEY RUM BUNS~
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two days ago the hormonal waves took over and my sweet bunny turned into a teenage beast. Shes doing long jumps onto me suddenly from across the room, She's nipping at my feet, chasing and charging, leaving piles of stinky poo in my lap. She chewed my phone charger and overnight destroyed a large willow ball (that she has ignored for the past month) and has humped everything she can get her paws on and is chasing the cat. The stinky poos are everywhere, and best of all when she did one of her dash by jump in my laps she peed on me. She's still affectionate, none of it really seems aggressive. But wow, the sudden difference from before 48 hours ago is dramatic. Yes, she is a female, She's 6.5 months old and scheduled for a spay on December 7th. But in the meantime, I really wish there was a rabbit version of Midol. Any tips on how to Soothe my little beast?

Last edited:
Xanax 🤣 (JK)

Chamomile herb may have a calming effect, never used it though so can't say for sure.

You can take the boss bunny roll and shoo her back to her area/pen or out of a space when she's misbehaving. Basically reclaim the space as yours, your territory, by making her move off of it to somewhere else. It's basic bunny body language. Though if she's really bossy, she may try to pick a fight, so be ready.
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Aggressive_rabbits

Okay, so in getting ready for said spay, I have ordered critical care herbivore apple and banana, a collapsible dishpan for her litter and need some syringes, should I get 5ml or 3 ml? Anything else that would be good to have on hand? Besides the Xanax😉!

Chamomile for both! Nothing like having to deal with a moody teenage bunny :p

Just make sure it's a wide tip feeding syringe. The regular ones tend to get clogged. This is what I've always used, but it comes in a 100/pk. You may be able to pick some up from your vet instead.
https://www.amazon.com/Covidien-888...=monoject+oral+syringes&qid=1606099147&sr=8-2
You also will probably need a warm pack of some sort. And make sure you are sent home with at least 5 days worth of pain meds. Some pre and post spay info.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Great article, direct! Just two more questions, PARANOID BUN MOM HERE, apologies in advance:
1), Apple banana just doesn't seem to be available, the order I placed was refunded and every other site I find says out of stock... They do have the anise flavor... Is this going to be palatable? I'm worried because I see so many references here insisting to get the apple banana...

2. ) heat pack? Electrical has cords- microwaveable doesnt last very long-chemical, could be chewed. Which would be a good compromise?

I'm not sure the chamomile is going to do it... Momma needs something stronger here.

Anise will work. I've used it in the past. Some buns don't seem to like the flavor as well as the A/B. Of course some buns don't like being syringe fed critical care regardless of what flavor you are giving. If anise is all you can get, I would go ahead and get it. Better to have something on hand if needed, and cheaper than getting from the vet.

I have used an electric heating pad in the past. Placed under a waterproof barrier and fleece blanket on low, at the edge of the pen with the cord on the outside of the pen. But I was also always right there monitoring the heating pad and buns recovery, so no risk of bunny chewing it. Rice in a cotton sock or bag, warmed up in the microwave is something else I've used, but it's important to be careful to check that it's not too hot before placing with bun.

Yes, as cute as they are, rabbits can be a little stressful at times.

Latest posts

Back