How to safely remove sticky residue from fur?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering the best way to remove an unknown sticky residue that has formed a clump with fur on my rescue bunny's face. He had this when we adopted him a week ago and it hasn't improved. I have no idea what it is, just that it's sticky and maybe a big greasy. No colour to it. I was thinking to try dawn dish soap? Or does anyone have a better idea? Unfortunately it's next to his nose in the whisker area, otherwise I would shave it off. Thoughts?

Pippi once tried eating a sticker, and had it stuck on her chest and lips. I found that rubbing Olive oil into her fur where the sticker was worked splendidly.

That being said, I dont advise taking your bun into your kitchen and setting it on the counter to do this.. I think Pippi thought she was going to get eaten, and she flipped out, kicking the olive oil everywhere. As a result, she became Little Miss Oil Bunny, until it wore off after a month.

View attachment 1490407046835.jpg

View attachment 1490407075250.jpg

Ahaha poor old Pippi. Probably didn't even learn her lesson either!
Well so far I tried a bit of Dawn and got a bit of it out. I will try the olive oil if he lets me. He's a sweetie and very tolerant to handling but he had an issue with me putting soap on his cute little face. So we'll see how it goes!

Just be careful not to get the rubbing alcohol in his eyes! That stuff is not good for the cornea. (common sense I know, but just in case someone doesn't know)

Pippi once tried eating a sticker, and had it stuck on her chest and lips. I found that rubbing Olive oil into her fur where the sticker was worked splendidly.

That being said, I dont advise taking your bun into your kitchen and setting it on the counter to do this.. I think Pippi thought she was going to get eaten, and she flipped out, kicking the olive oil everywhere. As a result, she became Little Miss Oil Bunny, until it wore off after a month.

Considering the kitchen and the olive oil, you can't blame her! XD
Poor girl... olive oil is really difficult to get out of hair (I stopped using it on my own because it was too tedious to wash out... maybe grapeseed oil or argan oil would be easier?)

You know, Aki, I think she still holds that grudge against me, and it's been over a year and a half.. Haha..

I'll look into those! It was kind of an emergency situation (since it was on her mouth and such), and that was the first solution I found. :) It definitely is a good idea to have a plan in case something like that happens again.. Haha..

She was just fine after a month or so. :) She just looked very scraggly. ^_^

Rawrschach was a messy eater when she was hand fed by my cousin. as a result the whole underside of her chin was a crunchy mess. i just left it be, it wore away and was replaced with clean fur in a couple weeks

Thanks everyone. It looks like the stuff is slowly coming out, with us working on it and just with time and fur turnover. He gets the crunchy fur too because it's long around his cheeks and ears. Naturally he doesn't like being brushed. Never met a
Rabbit that does. Sigh...

Latest posts

Back