How To Make A Shy Bunny More Confident?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunsFurever

Reaction score
Hey guys!! It has been quite a while since I posted but here we go again!

My female bunny, Tinkerbell, was bonded with my male bunny, Ferdinand, last Thanksgiving.
We got her in August of 2021 and she came to us SUPER terrified. She would run and hide from me and refused to come out and play. Eventually, she come out of her shell and we got her spayed sometime between September-early November (I really don’t remember exactly when). Her “husbun” helped to boost her confidence, but she continues to remain timid. I know that every bunny has a different personality and that some will be more/less scared or timid than others, but I would like her to be less nervous around me.
I try to spend a little bit of time with her every day to keep her calm around me and give both of them treats, but it doesn’t seem to help a ton…

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get Tinkerbell more confident?

I would let her take the time she need and keep on working as you are doing. Some bunnies take a long time to win over and build confidence. It can take time and sometimes I will just make a comfy area and lay there to let my bunnies explore me while I watch a movie, so when they come up they get a treat while I keep ignoring them.

It takes time just sitting with them, so they can learn to trust you. It helps if you are sitting in a smaller area like a play pen or small room like a bathroom so they can't just run and hide and avoid you, but don't pick up and carry your rabbit there as this can affect their ability to learn to trust you.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html

hi there. I have just bought 2 rabbits (mini lops) named clover and bluebell they seem quite shy and zoom away when I enter the room to feed them. And when I check on them. Any advice on how help them come out of there shell .

hi there. I have just bought 2 rabbits (mini lops) named clover and bluebell they seem quite shy and zoom away when I enter the room to feed them. And when I check on them. Any advice on how help them come out of there shell .

Same suggestions as was given above and in the shared link. Sit with them, don't try to pet or pick up. Essentially 'ignore' them as you do something else(eg read, tablet, laptop- no cords that could be chewed, etc). Gradually they will get braver and approach you and learn to trust you. Eventually they will start to allow you to slowly reach towards them so they can smell your hand. After more time they'll allow a small head scritch. Then one day they will actually want head rubs from you. Time and patience , and lots of it, to build a safe trusting relationship with a rabbit.

Also this one.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingwithyourbunny.htm

Hey guys!! It has been quite a while since I posted but here we go again!

My female bunny, Tinkerbell, was bonded with my male bunny, Ferdinand, last Thanksgiving.
We got her in August of 2021 and she came to us SUPER terrified. She would run and hide from me and refused to come out and play. Eventually, she come out of her shell and we got her spayed sometime between September-early November (I really don’t remember exactly when). Her “husbun” helped to boost her confidence, but she continues to remain timid. I know that every bunny has a different personality and that some will be more/less scared or timid than others, but I would like her to be less nervous around me.
I try to spend a little bit of time with her every day to keep her calm around me and give both of them treats, but it doesn’t seem to help a ton…

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get Tinkerbell more confident?
Try laying on the floor and put a treat on your self. Let her come to you, or read a book to your rabbit or talk very softly and tell her she is a good bunny and all the stuff you like about her

Latest posts

Back