How to litter train rabbits ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreo and cookie <3

Reaction score
Hi ! I have 5 rabbits at home , i know that's a lot of rabbits we started with just 2 and ended up with 5. The 2 parents are now 11 months and the 3 babies are now almost 4 months. The babies won't stop pooping and peeing everywhere , in the morning when i wake up it's such a mess. There are poops all over the floor that we can't even walk and be careful to not step on pee. They also spill their food everywhere which makes it worst. It also stinks. Even 5 minutes after cleaning there would already be a mess.
What i find strange is that cookie and oreo ( the 2 parents) now also do outside of their litter box. They still use the litter box but when they are eating they will just poop and pee on the floor even though the litter box is literally beside them. Before we had the babies the floor would usually be clean but now it's a total disaster. I don't get how and why cookie and oreo forgot how to use their litter box and i have problems with litter training the babies.
Please i need some help !

Are they all housed together? Are the rabbits spayed/neutered? If they are not spayed/neutered not you will most likely have more baby rabbits very soon because if one of the babies is a boy, he can get his siblings and mom pregnant at 3 months old. The reason they are going to the bathroom everywhere is that they are marking their territory. Here is a link on litter training rabbits: Litter Training.
You need to separate the females from the males. Here is a link on checking there genders: Sexing rabbit pictures!. The females can be housed together, but the males need to be separated because they will fight.

Hello ! Thanks for your reply
Cookie the father is neuteured , we wanted to spay oreo the mother but just the week we were going to bring her to the vet , the coronavirus spreaded to my country and it is currently locked down which means that all vets are closed.
Actually one of the babies were chasing the others so we seperated him.I do have some problems seperating them because the area where we keep them is very open and i tried to stack boxes but they somehow manage to pass through and join the other. Hopefully nobody is pregnant , oreo the mom actually first got pregnant at 4 months old so i hope it doesn't happen again. Fortunately i have never seen any mating behaviours with the baby and the mom. We had already planned to neuteur him when he would turn 4 months but because of the virus we can't T.T
The males actually do quite well together they lick each other a lot and play together. I thought they were going to fight but i guess since cookie had seen him when he was still a small baby that may be the reason.
Thank you so much for the links ! I really hope everything goes alright ! :p

It sounds like you have everything under control. The only thing you can do about litter training is cleaning all the poops up and putting them in the litter box and soaking up the pee on a paper towel and putting it in the litter box. You will need to clean the area they peed with a 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water mixture. You could also get a larger litter box (see links) or get multiple ones and put them where they tend to use the bathroom.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Creative-P...x-28-in-L-x-6-in-D-Drywall-Mud-Pan/1000608719https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-28-Qt-Storage-Box-White-Case-of-10/44785795

Thank you so much ! I put the paper towels with the pee in their litter box and i picked up one of the babies and put her in the litter box making her smell the paper towels. I had to enclose the area when she was in the litter box for a small moment or else she would went away and do her thing everywhere.

You may want to reduce the space they have to run around. It will make litter training easier. I would also double-check their genders because the babies could have been humping for dominance. If you can't tell what genders they are, ask on here.

I'll reduce the area , they do have a lot of space. Actually i let them free roam like half of the house , when they were only 1 month old they had a limited area and now i'll have to give them limited area again for the litter training. I really hope they'll stop making a mess and will use the litter box 👍😆

I can't believe it ! I saw cookie come in the litter box and even rewarded him with a treat and when he saw and started smelling the paper towels , he took it with his mouth and literally threw them out of the litter box ! I'm not even lying and he started scratching the other paper towels like a mad rabbit. I wanted to laugh so bad but at the same time i was so desperate 😂

Latest posts

Back