How to know when rabbits are bonded?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightangel

Reaction score
Hello! I have two rabbits I've been attempting to bond for a while. I'm wondering how do you know when rabbits are bonded?
They've stayed together in non-neutral space for 24 hours with only positive signs but I'm worried they haven't figured out their dominance hierarchy. They both groom each other but my one bunny seems to want more grooming. He has his head down asking for grooming and while my other bunny will groom him it's not for very long or every time he gets asked to groom.
Should I continue to keep them together while monitoring them? Or should I take a step back? Or is this normal for even bonded rabbits? This is my first time bonding rabbits so I'm still learning as I go, any advice would be appreciated. :)

24 hours without issues is a great sign but far too early to consider them "bonded." They should remain in this bonding area for a good week (could be longer, depending on how it goes) before being placed in what will be their together housing. Continue to monitor them as you've been doing. Moving them too soon could cause a setback.

Could you give more background? Gender? Neuter status? When bonding began? Indoors or out?

24 hours without issues is a great sign but far too early to consider them "bonded." They should remain in this bonding area for a good week (could be longer, depending on how it goes) before being placed in what will be their together housing. Continue to monitor them as you've been doing. Moving them too soon could cause a setback.

Could you give more background? Gender? Neuter status? When bonding began? Indoors or out?
Thanks for responding so quickly! What are some signs that they're bonded? Or is it more of like a gut feeling?
They're both indoor male rabbits and are both neutered. They've known each other since they were around 4 months old. I started to switch them between cages after they healed from their neuters in summer 2018 and after two months of that I tried to start bonding them but I made a lot of mistakes so I halted bonding a few times and went back to switching them between cages. There's been some fights but the worst they did to each other was pull out some fur. They haven't had any fights for about 3 months now. It's really been a lot of trial and error but now I'm so glad they're on the right track.
Thank you for your help!

Latest posts

Back