How to know if my rabbit has broken a bone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyowner745

Reaction score
While putting my pet lionhead in her playpen, she squirmed and before I could adjust or put her in the pen, she fell. It was about a 3 and a half foot drop, and while she got up and hopping around a second later, her leg splayed out at a weird angle and I want to make sure she's okay, but I didn't want to bother my vet. She's not any more lethargic than usual, is that a good sign?

While the lack of lethargy is a good sign, if she is carrying or moving the leg differently you will need to go in for an x-ray. It may not be a fracture, but if it is you really should get a vet's opinion. Any chance you can take a photo to share on here?

While the vet may recommend that you don't pursue surgery depending on the bunny and her health, a break may require it. Especially if the break is in the femur or pelvis, where internal bleeding, shock, or nerve damage can be a risk from a break. as far as determining if the leg is broken yourself, I would recommend against palpating the injury or moving it yourself beyond absolutely necessary until an x-ray can be performed to determine the kind of damage. Depending on the break (if it is indeed a break), moving the injury without medical training could cause more injury, future damage nerves and tissue, or cause your rabbit to go into shock from pain/further injury.

I would say this is a very good time to bother your vet.

Latest posts

Back