How to Keep Bun Warm if He Hates Bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kstep

Reaction score
My bunny lives in an outside hutch. The hutch is two stories with a ground level on concrete and his top level has a small room, partially enclosed. I cannot bring him inside, so I’m trying to get his hutch ready for winter. He hates bedding though! I’ve tried a pillow, fleece blanket, shavings, paper fluff, hay and a nesting box! He will either kick it all out or if he can’t, he’ll go down to the bottom level, which is much colder. What should I do??!!

I used to have outdoor rabbits and they did not like nesting boxes. One of my rabbits would use a nesting box for a litter box. Make sure that your rabbit is sheltered from the cold winds. I used to fill the whole hutch with hay. They would pick one or two spots to potty, so I would shovel those corners out often. If you are worried about the cold concrete, maybe you can block off the bottom level and only give him access to it on nice days.

I would give my outdoor bunnies a cardboard box and lots of straw and they would figure out what worked for them. As long as they were protected from rain and wind never had a problem with them. Some liked to make a bed or hang out in their box, others never did.

The most important thing to keep bunnies warm in winter other than protection from rain and wind is to make sure they have liquid water at all times so they can process their food. An outdoor bunny will grow a winter coat that helps keep them warm, and with proper food and liquid water they do fine in cold weather. If your temps drop below freezing, make sure they get a bowl of water at least twice a day.

In my experience rabbits are more susceptible to overheating than to freezing.

If your temps drop below freezing, make sure they get a bowl of water at least twice a day.

In my experience rabbits are more susceptible to overheating than to freezing.

Yes, but SC only gets so cold. ;) Cincinnati winters are well below freezing every night during winter months.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just noting how cold Ohio can get -- especially significant if the OP's hutch does not have the adequate protection you describe. (and why I asked for a photo)
I simply shared my experience. The OP can evaluate it and ignore it if they don't find it suits their situation.

Your comment and winky face implied you didn't think I knew what I was talking about, so I posted my qualifications. I'm familiar with cold winter conditions.

I'll bow out now.

I used to have rabbits outside. The temperature here can get down to -10 F, and on rare occasions, -20 F and the cold didn't seem to bother them, as long as they had bedding and protection from the wind. Although the colder it got, the less time they spent outside of their hutch in their exercise area.

Many breeders will supplement Black Oil Sunflower Seeds to keep their rabbits extra warm in the winter

My pair of rabbits live outside in a two storey ,large hutch which is off the ground,insulated all round,including below,and has waterproof material on all side,with a removable silvered heat shield for night time and a drop down waterproof material front cover. Draughts are the main enemy,along with dampness,and always ask yourself,'would i feel comfortable in this situation?'If thwe answer is no,then take remedial action ASAP.I've been giving mine a small amount of black sunflower seed kernels mixed in with their pellets for quite a while now,and of course bearing in mind its fat content and not overdoing it,but it certainly helps in Winter and has the added bonus of giving their coats essential oil.Moderation is the key of course.

Latest posts

Back