How to introduce Bunny to dog and the other way around.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Next year/ in december I’m going to get a puppy. Still looking for a breeder and good breeds with low hunt instinct. So what breed isn’t decided yet.

But I’m trying to find out facts on how to introduce a dog to a bunnies. Also the other way around.

Odin have met and lived with dogs before (bc, pit bull and golden retriever), he will just need adjustment and a slow introduction. Lija will most likely ignore the dog as long it’s not in her space otherwise she will attack. She won’t be scared. Both Odin and Lilja have met dogs a few times and they have never react strongly or get stressed when it’s in their tempo and the dog aren’t all over them.

While Toste I’m not that sure how he will react because he easily get startled of things that move too fast, it will trigger him to attack or run away depends on if he feel cornered or not. I’m still working with him but he just have a skittish personality.

So do anyone know how to introduce the bunnies to a dog and the other way around. So when the time comes it will be easier for both parties.

I don't know much about introducing them but @Blue eyes has done it before.
Although it really depends on the individual dog. I have had an English cocker spaniel and a Britney spaniel that were great with my buns. I never really let them run around together but when I had them with me. My English CS would just ignore it and my BS would just want to give it kisses.
My BS was the best dog that I ever had he was the sweetest dog, would do anything that I asked him to do. He would even hold something if I asked him too, I could lay a treat on his nose and he would leave it until I told him it was ok. He was very protective, he even trained himself to do deep pressure therapy on me when I was having a panic attack. So loyal too. He would always know when one of us was upset or having a bad day, he even woke up my dad when he stopped breathing in his sleep. He is now a therapy dog in Florida, he actually just saved his owners life, he is really gun shy which is why we got him and there was a gunman down the road when they were walking and he was making her run back to the house and go inside and close the door. She thought it was just fireworks but found out later that it was a gunman. Both dogs were easily trained. They were both bird hunting dogs before and were already trained but I taught them so many new tricks within a week per trick.
So I would recommend you looking into an English Spaniel or a Britney Spaniel. They are small/medium size dogs. I have seen regular Cocker Spaniels and they are not as trainable as the other kinds and I have never met a well trained/Mannered standard Cocker spaniel. But I'm sure there are others out there that are but even of all the English/Britney Spaniels at the hunting lodge that my dad works at they are all very well trained and mannered. They all have been taught to ignore rabbits.

I’m thinking letting a puppy grow up with the bunnies will be easier for it to accept them but at least not react too much.

I have already planed that when I move to an apartment the bunnies will have a room as their own place which will also be an extra room/ office for me. So they will have the largest room. While the rest of the apartment will be the dogs place. But during the day the dog will be with my parents, so the bunnies will have the rest of the apartment when I work.

But many hunting dogs need a lot of activity to feel good. I’m just after a dog that will enjoy walks and chilling with me, sometimes go out for a bit of run and training some dog sport. So it will just be a family dog.

Breed of dog is obviously an important factor. The other factor is how dedicated you are in training the dog. I don't say that to disparage anyone, but some people are very strict with their dogs and with training them. Their dogs don't bark at the door or ever run off. These are dedicated owners. These types of owners can likely train any breed to get along with their rabbit -- even hunting breeds.

I'm not over strict with my dogs, but I can and do put my foot down about certain behaviors. I'm confident in being able to control them. That's the key.

Breed and training. Breed matters in so far that there isn't too much genetic prey drive to overcome. Reasonable control also needs to be had over the dog's behavior.

Getting a puppy isn't necessarily an advantage. You can read more about that and the process (with pics) I've used to introduce dog to rabbit and rabbit to dog (puppy too) at my website. That's here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/introducing-dog-to-rabbit.html

Because it will be my first dog I will ever own. I’m ready to train it and will have rules for the dog. But because I’m new, it will be a challange to raise my dog.

I’m just after a puppy because it’s hard finding pure breed adult dog. Most mixes are with hunting dog in their blood. So it will be easier to plan for a puppy from a breeder and know the breed personality. Like if they have a high hunting instinct or not.

I’ve been looking through a few breeds, that might fit the household.

Euraiser, chow chow, finnish lapphund, golden retriver or an english cocker spaniel. I haven’t decided yet among the breeds. But I have met all the breeds before but I know more about golden retriver, finnish lapphund and english cocker spaniel because I’ve handled them more.

Thanks for the information :)

I got my bunny from this breeder blue clover rabbitry (theyre on insta) and idk what they do to their bunnies but every single one of them is so calm and social and 100% fine with being held. they have 2 pet boxers which both hang out and cuddle w the bunnies. It's possible but be super super careful. My parents have 2 dogs and over my dead body would I ever let my bunny Peach anywhere near them

I’m not going to let the bunnies run with the dog. I’m just after that they won’t react to the smell and be stressed over it. Just seeing the dog over the mesh.

So my bunnies will be separated from the dog.

I have a husky that i am working on introducing to my bunny so far its been really great will always be on guard when they are near eachother but nothing to insane. shes also 4 years old really well trained and calm so i would wait until the puppy craziness passes before you do an introduction!

I will wait until the puppy period is over and the bunnies will have their own area and place ☺️

I raised my dog (lab) with bunnies and I believe it is very possible to have a dog you trust completely, especially if you are extremely consistent with not allowing any small animal chasing behavior. Good luck and have fun!

I’ve been letting my bunnies meet dogs through mesh. So they don’t get scared when seeing dogs. Odin will run up in his cage and greet them but he have met dog outside the cage. While Toste is a bit more careful and will run away but will later sneakily come forward and meet the dog.

So when I get my puppy, my bunnies will feel safe with having a dog in the house and seeing one.

I should be picking Luna bunny up within the next 3 days hopefully. From what the rescue says, she's a pretty chill bunny. I also have a 9 year old Shepherd (GSD), Bubba. Bubs is an unusual GSD, but still GSD through and through.

What I mean by that is that she has always been pretty low key from the time she got me at 8 weeks. She is definitely on the ball (literally and figuratively) and has the traits all GSDs have including apparent being neurotic 😂. In her early years I was considering training her as a therapy pooch. The woman that we went to for doggie training had me send her a vid of Bubs playing with balls. Bubs is ALL about the ball and the trainer said that is high prey drive.

However, through the years things about Bubba that have me believing everything between Bubs and Luna Bunny will work out with proper meeting of the creatures is that Bubs never really cared to interact with other dogs or cats. Many events with the opportunity to do so. Bubs will be curious, check the other animal out for a short bit, then be on her way to do her thing. Knowing Bubs as I do, I don't anticipate it being any other way with Luna, but have a game plan if things don't work out that way.

With bringing Luna into a new home, there will be the 2-3 day no touching Luna period. This will give both her and Bubs the opportunity to acclimate themselves to each other. Luna will be in a minimum 28" x 70" (71cm x 177cm) Nics cage. Still waiting on the panels to arrive so we'll see how big it ends up, but minimum will be the above. I also have a 16 foot (4.9m) indoor crate/fence thing to place a buffer zone around the crate.

Hopefully over time the two of them will interact together and becomes pals. If that does happen, I seriously doubt even then that I will EVER let them not be physically separated if I am not in the room.

I should be picking Luna bunny up within the next 3 days hopefully. From what the rescue says, she's a pretty chill bunny. I also have a 9 year old Shepherd (GSD), Bubba. Bubs is an unusual GSD, but still GSD through and through.

What I mean by that is that she has always been pretty low key from the time she got me at 8 weeks. She is definitely on the ball (literally and figuratively) and has the traits all GSDs have including apparent being neurotic 😂. In her early years I was considering training her as a therapy pooch. The woman that we went to for doggie training had me send her a vid of Bubs playing with balls. Bubs is ALL about the ball and the trainer said that is high prey drive.

However, through the years things about Bubba that have me believing everything between Bubs and Luna Bunny will work out with proper meeting of the creatures is that Bubs never really cared to interact with other dogs or cats. Many events with the opportunity to do so. Bubs will be curious, check the other animal out for a short bit, then be on her way to do her thing. Knowing Bubs as I do, I don't anticipate it being any other way with Luna, but have a game plan if things don't work out that way.

With bringing Luna into a new home, there will be the 2-3 day no touching Luna period. This will give both her and Bubs the opportunity to acclimate themselves to each other. Luna will be in a minimum 28" x 70" (71cm x 177cm) Nics cage. Still waiting on the panels to arrive so we'll see how big it ends up, but minimum will be the above. I also have a 16 foot (4.9m) indoor crate/fence thing to place a buffer zone around the crate.

Hopefully over time the two of them will interact together and becomes pals. If that does happen, I seriously doubt even then that I will EVER let them not be physically separated if I am not in the room.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Congrats on your soon-to-come Luna!

If you haven't seen it already, I have a section on my site that explains (with pics) the steps I take when introducing a rabbit to a dog:

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/introducing-dog-to-rabbit.html
Here are some of our current and past dogs/rabbits:
1588529409706.png
1588529439013.png
1588529461446.png

Sounds like you have a good plan. Congrats on your soon-to-come Luna!

If you haven't seen it already, I have a section on my site that explains (with pics) the steps I take when introducing a rabbit to a dog:
Thank you Blue eyes. I'm so excited yet nervous.

Yes, I have read your info previous to this thread being started. Actually your site is one of the first sites I go to when looking for info. Thank you for your work.

Your bunnies and pup pics are great!

Latest posts

Back