How to help rabbit cope with other's loss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampee

Reaction score
Dear All,

I would like to know how can I help my other rabbit to cope with his female companion's loss (when the time comes :( )
Any advice is welcome!

Thank you!

Having a close bond and relationship with your rabbit can help. That way your rabbit will feel safe turning to you for comfort if needed. To help a rabbit that is feeling the loss of their companion, it's sitting and spending time with them, just like a bonded bunny companion does. Though sometimes it takes finding them a new bunny companion, for rabbits that are severely affected by the loss.

Fortunatley he likes me very much as far as I can tell:
-When I crouch down he immediatley crawls into the space between my legs and lies there
-Licking me whenver I'm close
-Also he wouldn't even shake if i touch his belly when he flopped

So I guess I might be able to help him.......:(

I think he'll be ok then. As long as he has a close relationship with you and you to comfort him, it will help ease his loss.

(edited to add) Though it could still be some time before you're faced with this.

Absolutely agree with the above advice.I've been in the same position with my male who sadly lost his mate.Both of us were devastated,and i deliberately made a point of spending as much time with him as I could,and getting him used to be cuddle on my chest.he was never frightened previously,but preferred being 'cuddle' on the floor and of course had his mate for close company.He now loves his cuddles at night and spent two hours being loved the other night,unheard of when she was alive.Lots of love and lots of attention are certainly the key,they are so sensitive and need tofeel wanted.

Dear All,

I would like to know how can I help my other rabbit to cope with his female companion's loss (when the time comes :( )
Any advice is welcome!

Thank you!
Hi there dear Bunny person,
Our bunny man lost his bunny wife very suddenly several months ago :( He didn't seem to lose interest in eating etc and was running around- as he is free roam in our house, and has his "base" with us in my/his kitchen/living room. I feel for him so spend several times a day giving him long pats and rubs and kisses. Though he was the one who used to groom his wife! she used to just sit there enjoying and not really reciprocate :) We have a little dog as well who is always running in and out of his area checking for food and water- even though she has her own. There is also a cat who has moved himself into my place so Jett bunny has puss around too. I hope that having others creatures around him and me means he isn't isolated. THough i know it doesn't replace another Bunn.

Absolutely agree with the above advice.I've been in the same position with my male who sadly lost his mate.Both of us were devastated,and i deliberately made a point of spending as much time with him as I could,and getting him used to be cuddle on my chest.he was never frightened previously,but preferred being 'cuddle' on the floor and of course had his mate for close company.He now loves his cuddles at night and spent two hours being loved the other night,unheard of when she was alive.Lots of love and lots of attention are certainly the key,they are so sensitive and need tofeel wanted.
Yes, same though our Bunn man won't ever sit on me :)

...And it happened. He is alone now.
I'm with him every minute. Yesterday when She passed I don't think he realized it since when we came back from the vet he flopped like 3 times.
But I think it is today that he realized that she is gone.

So sorry to hear about your,and his loss.I have been in exactly the same situation and my little man Robbie is now very 'cuddly' where he never was before.as others have so rightly said,they are so sensitive and need our understanding and love more than ever at this time.It's a very difficult situation,because aswe know all too well,getting another rabbit is not a simple matter and there are no guarantees that theywill bond or even like one another,which can be more upsetting for everyone.at least in the short term,give him lots of love and close contact,and let him know he isn't alone.Good luck.

Very happy that my words helped you.There are no easy answers,we all wish there were,and we all feel very inadequate at times in the face of something so upsetting and painful.we can only do our best and trust that we will be judged accordingly.

Latest posts

Back