How to: harnes train my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyness

Reaction score
My 10 week old mini hop Luna refuses to let me put her harnes on! She freaks out every time and at it seems impossible! I really want to get her used to the harnes around the house before we attempt an outing. Is there any preferred products or training methods for mini lops??

Some bunnies really hate them, and some don't seem to mind. I don't know that there's a way to "harness train" a bunny too well..with my bunnies, some haven't minded a bit, and others frantically run around, freaking out and trying to bite me. I just don't use it for the ones that don't like it.

Don't mean to be a downer, but some bunnies just don't take to them and never will, it's just the way some of them are.

When she freaks out, do you have the leash on her or is it just the harness? For the first couple times you put a harness on, you should be doing it without a leash and just letting the bunny run around and get used to it.

Also, what kind of harness are you using? It should be an H Style harness, the easiest to find being the kitten harnesses they sell at Wal-Mart.

Is she freaking out when you try to put it on or is it after she's got it on?

If it's when you're trying to put it on her, remember, this is a new thing and probably quite scary to her. Don't just pin her down and force it on! Let her sniff it and make sure it's not going to eat her! Give her a treat to eat and drape it over her body. Give her another and then do it up. Try to make it a positive experience instead of a negative one.

To be honest, Gus loves going out in his harness, but still hates having it put on. He'll try to run away as soon as he sees it. Getting it taken off is no problem, of course. :p

If it's while she's got it on, then you may have it too tight, it's pulling some hair, etc. Or, as Amanda said, she's just not the kind of rabbit that will wear a harness.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I use the four paws ferret harness on my holland lop, if I try to put it on when he's not in his cage he freaks out. I've learned that if I put it on very slowly while he's in his cage then hes fine with it, and he loves going outside so he soon forgets its on anyway. I dont really recommend the harness that we use though, I definitely plan on trying out a kitten harness with him. So maybe try doing it in his cage...?

some rabbits will never get used to a harness.

that being said, the first time i put my flemish in a harness she freaked out. it was hard to catch her. obviously because she thought it was vet time, or nail trimming time. i don't overly handle my rabbits because i know they just plain don't like it. once i got the harness on my flemish and took her outside she immediately LOVED IT. i only had her outside for about ten minutes then brought her back in. the second time i did it she wasn't so hesitant and didn't run away. she knew by my ritual of putting her on the kitchen counter so i could slip her harness on that she was safe, and not being stuffed into a carrier.

on another note, the type of harness you use makes a big difference. i have a netherland dwarf and a couple years ago i bought a "rabbit" harness and it was hard to get on her, and once it was on, she could easily slip out of it. for my flemish giant i brought her to the pet store and had her fitted with a "step thru" dog harness. its 2 loops with a clip that clips at the back, and you just slip both front paws through (but make sure its pushed down enough their neck/dewlap isn't in the harness) and i put it on pretty tightly, but leave enough room for 3 fingers between the harness and her skin. she hasn't tried to get out of it, and normally she is pretty tricky.

heres some pics of the harness i use(hard to see harness because she is so fluffy)

051.jpg

047.jpg

I have harness trained most of my rabbits. I would start by buying a real rabbit harness (it is easier to get on the rabbit). Then make sure the rabbit is calm and relaxed, next hold gently but firmly near shoulders or behind shoulders. Simply slip the neck loop over her head and tighten it (make sure u can fit 2-3 fingers between the harness and her neck). then you take the bell sting and bring it under her tummy and clip to fasiner.
I hope this helped:)

Latest posts

Back