How to give meds to bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hi! Duke has recently had a digestion issue and teeth problems so was prescribed two medicines, one of which we have to give three times a day and the other once a day. Duke hasn't been taking the meds voluntarily and the vet showed us how to place the syringe in the side of his cheeks so he is able to take the meds, Its around 1ml three times a day and I've tried rubbing banana, apple and pellets on the syringe- he responded well and voluntarily took them the first time but after that he learnt that it was my method for medicine so very cleverly doesn't take it anymore! He doesn't seem too happy with the vet's method and isn't responding to mine so I wanted to know if anyone had advice on how to give the meds?

My Lucas recently was on 5 different meds twice a day for two weeks... I am a softy, but eventually learned if I wrapped him in a towel (bunny burrito) and immobilized his head with one hand, it made it where he couldn't turn away from the syringe. At first I felt like I was hurting him, but it was quick, and the medicine helped, so I figured it was worth having a bunny mad at me for a few hours!

For the record, it wasn't actually hurting him, and he has since forgiven me.

I just put a little pellets and oatmeal in a bowl, dampen it, a few drops of sunflower seed oil since he's on the skinny side, and put the medicine on top. It's a treat for my boy, I even use it to call him into the house in the evening.

If the other suggestions don't work, remember that once the medicine is in the cheek area, bunny will have no choice but to swallow it. So getting it in the actual cheek area is critical with the method the vet showed you. If you can get it there (not in the main part of the mouth), then it doesn't matter whether there are other flavors there or not. In other words, getting it in the cheek does not require using any flavor enhancing on the syringe since they can't taste anything there anyway. (taste is on the tongue)

Here is a video that shows how I syringe fed some meds to a difficult bun.

Latest posts

Back