How to get them to eat new hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Understandable, my fellow New Yorker. You can't really do much except keep offering them the hay. Sometimes they will just give up on their boycott and eat it. I'm not sure if this helps, but I get Standlee timothy hay from Tractor Supply (50 lbs. for $25), so after you run out of the Bermunda hay that might be an option.

Is the hay fresh and green? Bermuda is rarely rejected by buns since it is so tender. Usually it's the transition off of alfalfa (which is not a grass hay) that can be difficult. The various grass hays are generally interchangeable. That's why I wondered if something is off with the Bermuda you have? Some rabbits tend to be more choosey, though.

If it's just that they want timothy, the brand is irrelevant. Maybe try local feed stores.

Is the hay fresh and green? Bermuda is rarely rejected by buns since it is so tender. Usually it's the transition off of alfalfa (which is not a grass hay) that can be difficult. The various grass hays are generally interchangeable. That's why I wondered if something is off with the Bermuda you have? Some rabbits tend to be more choosey, though.

If it's just that they want timothy, the brand is irrelevant. Maybe try local feed stores.
It looks fresh, it's green and soft and smells good to me. I got it off of Chewy.com so it should be good. Next time I'll try Tractor Supply

My bunny doesn't eat hay at all just pellets and vegetables no matter what hay I have but my vet says it's because she has megacolon I also knew a friend that the bunny went to 4 vets and nothing was wrong with that bunny just ate pellets but some of my bunnies that were picky I put alfalfa on top and they started eating more of it

I think mixing your old hay and new hay and gradually transitioning is the best option. If you don’t have any old hay left possibly try getting another brand of Timothy hay if that seems to be their preferred type. I would also cut down on pellets temporarily so they don’t opt to gorge on them and feel hungrier to eat the hay.
Anyone saying their rabbit does fine without hay is an exception, not the rule, and they are very lucky not to have any issues yet.

I got new hay for Blossom and Thumper and they're barely touching it. I tried putting some foraging mix on it but they only ate the mix so what else can I do to get them to eat it?
I'd be interested in the same advice. Our rabbit is super picky & even refuses hay from the same brand when it differs in quality. I'm in Australia and at the moment it is not easy sourcing the brand he likes.

I got new hay for Blossom and Thumper and they're barely touching it. I tried putting some foraging mix on it but they only ate the mix so what else can I do to get them to eat it?
You can try small pet select they have hay that is budget friendly and have hay that my bunny loves and he has only been fed oxbow Timothy hay.

What kind of hay did you switch them too? What kind were they originally on? You may need to mix the types to get them to eat it. Bunnies are picky 😆
I totally agree with this idea. My rabbits only like green hay and they love Timothy hay and Oat hay is OK for them.
So I mix these two types of hay and sprinkle some alfalfa hay in the winter for extra calories.

Latest posts

Back