How to get rid of urine stains

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynn_theminilop

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a 2 year old mini lop called Flynn. He has his own room but is restricted during sleeping hours for his own safety (he likes to get up to mischief!)

He is spot cleaned every day yet as soon as he pees, which can be often, he lies in it. He is a pure white rabbit which often leaves him slightly stained.

I have read posts on here and have decided to invest in a litter box for his room that is slightly raised so he cannot lie in his urine, however it does not solve this issue completely.

Has anyone got any ideas of next steps or even how to clean him as it is always his feet and belly that are affected.

I have tried the cornflour method and found that it was slightly effective but does not restore him completely.

Sorry for the long post! Tia :)

See here for alternative methods: Bathing rabbits - WabbitWiki

You may want to consider more absorbent litter and/or modifying your litterbox set-up if the urine is pooling so quickly, therefore being soaked up by your rabbit's fur.

Notably, especially if this is new or is causing urine scalding, this may be a sign of a UTI, joint issues (i.e., can't position body to urinate away from self), or something else. So rather than your rabbit laying in pee due to an innocuous reason, it may be medical.

Thankyou for your reply!

This is an issue I have raised with Flynn's vet, however this is something he has done since he was small. The vet said this is behavioural.

I will look into new bedding alternatives. Do you have any suggestions of good bedding to use?

Thankyou for your help :)

Blue eyes, thank you for the helpful litter training link. It's going to be very helpful with our mostly white female rabbit who lost all her litter habits over the past month (hormonal most likely). Gives me hope we can get her back to peeing in a designated spot like she used to do, and keep her fur clean :)

Latest posts

Back