How to get my new bunny to enjoy being pet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mochismommy

Reaction score
We got our bunny two weeks ago and he seems to be doing great apart from his relationship with us. He lives in an extra large dog crate with toys and a hidy home and he gets let out to roam 3x a day where he binkys, gets the zoomies and flops! But he hates being touched. We just lay or sit on the floor and let him explore us but he doesn’t care for us much. He’ll reluctantly eat from our hands most of the time. We know it will take a while to form a bond but I worry it will never happen especially because I’ve had to discipline him from chewing/eating things that could hurt him. I was clapping at him but that stopped working so I started using a spray bottle. I’m worried he hates me for it but I don’t want him to get a blockage from eating our carpet 😩

Bunnies never learn by punishment. You will need to redirect their natural behavior and section off things you don’t want to be destroyed. I even bunny proof my walls even though my bunnies never showed any interest in them. Some day they might be bored and get the urge to chomp up the walls then it will already be protected from them.

Bonding takes time and for some it will just take a day to warm up while others can take years. Just be patience and hand feed your bunny. Overtime they will bond with you.

Bunnies never learn by punishment. You will need to redirect their natural behavior and section off things you don’t want to be destroyed. I even bunny proof my walls even though my bunnies never showed any interest in them. Some day they might be bored and get the urge to chomp up the walls then it will already be protected from them.

Bonding takes time and for some it will just take a day to warm up while others can take years. Just be patience and hand feed your bunny. Overtime they will bond with you.
The problem is my apartment is entirely carpeted so I can’t section off the carpet. We installed foam tiles in his room but he tried to eat the edges of the tiles as well. How should I redirect him? We literally had to physically pull him away from the foam tile before using the spray bottle

We got our bunny two weeks ago and he seems to be doing great apart from his relationship with us. He lives in an extra large dog crate with toys and a hidy home and he gets let out to roam 3x a day where he binkys, gets the zoomies and flops! But he hates being touched. We just lay or sit on the floor and let him explore us but he doesn’t care for us much. He’ll reluctantly eat from our hands most of the time. We know it will take a while to form a bond but I worry it will never happen especially because I’ve had to discipline him from chewing/eating things that could hurt him. I was clapping at him but that stopped working so I started using a spray bottle. I’m worried he hates me for it but I don’t want him to get a blockage from eating our carpet 😩
It's not uncommon for a new bunny owner to attempt to "teach" bunny not to do certain behaviors. After all, this is what we all do with dogs. However, dogs are very different in that they are eager to please (or at the very least, eager to not get punished). Rabbits are not at all like this. They will do what they will do. Yes, clapping will temporarily distract them from an undesired behavior. But it is only temporary and certainly won't stop him from trying again (and again and again) -- especially when no one is there to stop him. Same with a water bottle or any other form of discipline. The bottom line is that rabbits do not respond to these tactics because they have no inclination to obey or please.

This is where both redirection and bunny proofing come in. Carpet chewers often focus on just one particular area of carpet (often corners). If this is the case, putting down a piece of ceramic tile often prevent this. If they go for random areas, then you'll need to get creative. A large area of carpet could be covered with a large fleece blanket for those times he's allowed out to play. If only the outer edges of the foam tile are being chewed, then a length of 1x4 laid on the edges may work (secured somehow depending on situation).

As for bonding, it sounds like you are doing the right things. If he explores you already and takes treats from your hand, he's doing quite well for only 2 weeks time. Be patient. Here's more on bonding with your bunny:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html

It's not uncommon for a new bunny owner to attempt to "teach" bunny not to do certain behaviors. After all, this is what we all do with dogs. However, dogs are very different in that they are eager to please (or at the very least, eager to not get punished). Rabbits are not at all like this. They will do what they will do. Yes, clapping will temporarily distract them from an undesired behavior. But it is only temporary and certainly won't stop him from trying again (and again and again) -- especially when no one is there to stop him. Same with a water bottle or any other form of discipline. The bottom line is that rabbits do not respond to these tactics because they have no inclination to obey or please.

This is where both redirection and bunny proofing come in. Carpet chewers often focus on just one particular area of carpet (often corners). If this is the case, putting down a piece of ceramic tile often prevent this. If they go for random areas, then you'll need to get creative. A large area of carpet could be covered with a large fleece blanket for those times he's allowed out to play. If only the outer edges of the foam tile are being chewed, then a length of 1x4 laid on the edges may work (secured somehow depending on situation).

As for bonding, it sounds like you are doing the right things. If he explores you already and takes treats from your hand, he's doing quite well for only 2 weeks time. Be patient. Here's more on bonding with your bunny:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
Thanks I only tried the spray bottle because someone online suggested it but I don’t think it was the best approach either. I’ll try to redirect with chew toys or veggies? 😅 no more spray bottle then

Have an area that is rabbit proofed, that you let him out into, where you can sit with him for your bonding time. A smaller area works better than too large of an area. Using a pet exercise pen is a good way to control the area your rabbit is allowed to explore, and can be completely rabbit proofed. That way you won't need to try and stop unwanted behaviors that will detract from building a bond with your bun. Like Blue Eyes suggested, put a blanket down, or you can use a tarp or some other protective mat or covering. Just something to cover the carpet, that you won't mind if he nibbles at it, or something he can't nibble easily.

Have you access to large chew safe baskets, a large statue or item (storage tub) to place in a corner, a flat ceramic tile like Blue eyes mentioned. or place an end table in the desired "diggy" corner. Bricks in the spot of his/her "i'll destruct this fun spot by the wall as stimulation for my mind and to wear down my nails."

Getting creative works to discourage ambitious, determined and playful diggers. Bonding takes time, also.

In our experiences, several buns, unbeknownst to us at the time, consumed indigestible fiber that did not pass through their GI tract. (bound edges of a rug). A gentle PTS was needed vs. stomach surgery after xrays were taken and all DVM methods for gut motility were attempted to pass the blockage. Please do be cautious with items s/he could easily ingest. OTOH, multiple house buns have no desire to create trouble.

I applaud you for knowing about indigestible fibers and blockages that could occur.

Last edited:
Our rabbits tended to chew on carpet along walls, in corners and in the doorways, anywhere there was an edge. I laid down 6-inch wide thin rabbit-safe boards in those places: tempered hardboard, scrap plywood or softwood boards cut thin, if you know someone who has a table saw.

I had to use all sorts of tricks to keep the boards in place: heavy weights and long wire nails (almost needle thin) driven through the boards at an angle so as to anchor into the carpet and pad and not cause any damage.

Under desks and other out of sight places we used storage cube panels to fence out the buns. Now, they've been mostly done away with wherever we've laid down short nap carpet.

We eventually needed to re-carpet one room and when we did we used very short nap carpet tiles. The buns don't think it is grass and they can't sink their teeth into it.

In some places we've laid scatter rugs which will eventually get chewed; but, are inexpensive to replace.

In a nutshell, we've done everything we can to keep our rabbits from eating indigestible carpet material. I'm afraid of it causing GI stasis.

Bunnies never learn by punishment as @Hermelin said. My rabbit still does not really like to be pet. Well, In between his ears. Try that, between his ears, Use your Thumb, Pointer, and middle finger. Here is a picture of how your hand should look.

Photo on 6-21-22 at 9.05 AM #3.jpg

And here is a picture of where to but your hand
Be carful, And massage him not too hard. My bun loves it (If he is in the mood) Only do this when he is not active.
Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 9.11.43 AM.png

Hope this helps ☺

Latest posts

Back