how to get a rabbit to lose some weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martha2000

Reaction score
Hi all, how do I get my rabbit to loose 500g of weight in a couple of months? Don’t want to stress her out!! Would it be possible and any dieting advice would be great thanks ;)

It would be helpful to know what her current diet is. In many cases, reducing the amount of pellets tends to be the course of action, but it's important to know what her current daily food is first. Knowing her environment/free-roam time details (for exercise purposes) would be helpful too.

It would be helpful to know what her current diet is. In many cases, reducing the amount of pellets tends to be the course of action, but it's important to know what her current daily food is first. Knowing her environment/free-roam time details (for exercise purposes) would be helpful too.
She has 75g off wagg rabbit pellets to share with her partner and she has got 6mx2m run with full access to all day and night.

She has 75g off wagg rabbit pellets to share with her partner and she has got 6mx2m run with full access to all day and night.
do they get unlimited amounts of hay as well?

I googled the pellets you're giving and although the nutritional analysis seems okay, but I'm not familiar with oat or wheat based pellets. I'm thinking since they're not really grass based its not ideal for the bunny. I'm more used to hay based pellets like timothy, they're higher in fiber too! :)

I checked the pellet composition analysis chart of The House Rabbit and it seems like my hunch was correct that that brand of pellets is not advisable 'cause its main ingredient is not made out of grass. You may check the link for another brand of pellets that could be better for your bunnies :)

I googled the pellets you're giving and although the nutritional analysis seems okay, but I'm not familiar with oat or wheat based pellets. I'm thinking since they're not really grass based its not ideal for the bunny. I'm more used to hay based pellets like timothy, they're higher in fiber too! :)

I checked the pellet composition analysis chart of The House Rabbit and it seems like my hunch was correct that that brand of pellets is not advisable 'cause its main ingredient is not made out of grass. You may check the link for another brand of pellets that could be better for your bunnies :)
Perfect, oops! Mistake on my behalf, I feel awful… will buy some more food now and slowly wean them off their food!

500g in a couple of months is too much. Best to aim for gradual weight loss. Give her lots and lots of grass hay, several varieties ideally, some herbs, forage and just a few pellets as treats.

500g in a couple of months is too much. Best to aim for gradual weight loss. Give her lots and lots of grass hay, several varieties ideally, some herbs, forage and just a few pellets as treats.
Will do, got her some nuggets which are perfect and rated amazingly and spoken to a vet and she should be able to loose it fairly soon. Will be gradual though She’s 1950g and want to get her to 1500g

I’ve got her the weight control burgess one which was rated perfect on that website, thanks for sharing! Cut her down on the pellets a bit

I’ve got them the Burgess weight control one (light) which works excellently! Such a good brand (thank you for sharing your website and luckily it was rated excellent on there) she’s down to 1900g now which is good progress!

I have always had overweight rabbits. My vet has told me that the hay that I use is “ too high quality” It is mostly Oxbow Western Timothy. My overweight buns have lived very long lives. I am talking about 15 yrs. I have never rationed hay nor “not fed” pellets
Guess I am wondering why you are asking this ?
I believe that one can cut Timothy pellets down to the point where a rabbit can still get vitamin and mineral requirement without getting too many calories . I am not getting poorer quality hay ,just won’t go there!

Latest posts

Back