How to examine a rabbits' mouth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
I like to thoroughly examine my baby bunnies before sending them to their new homes to make sure they are healthy. One thing that I have never been able to do is check inside rabbits' mouths (meaning further back, where the molars are). Is there any way to do this without the help of a vet? Any tools you can use, such as an endoscope?

A veterinary otoscope is what I've seen my vet use, with the longer speculum to get a look at the back of the mouth for just a basic dental check. Also keep in mind, it's important to know how to check correctly, without harming or overly stressing the rabbit.

A scope like this, though I haven't researched what exactly is used.
veterinary otoscope

I'm not at all suggesting anyone should do this themselves with no experience or training in how to do it properly. I'm just sharing what I know my vet uses. What you decide to do is your choice, but if you do go ahead, just please make sure to take all precautions for the safety of your rabbits. And better yet, have your vet show you how to do it properly first.

Latest posts

Back