How to encourage my rabbit to eat more hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny_charlie

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first time posting here so pls bear with me.
My baby bun’s about 6 months old now so we recently switched him over to oaten hay. He’s always been on a bit of that hay while eating alfalfa so the transition wasn’t difficult. Problem is, he’s super picky with the hay - it has to be a specific cut with a specific amount of sweetness and moisture. Unfortunately what he wants isn’t exactly available rn. I’ve tried all types of oaten hay (stock feed ones from the rural areas) all of which are deemed good quality in my opinion (no bugs, no mold, long green strands, sweet smell) but he’s just not a fan of it. Where we live, timothy hay is not readily available; even if it is, its the ones from Oxbow and by the time they ship from the US to here, it’s like $150 for a small bag that’ll last no more than a few days. I don’t know what to do because now he’s not eating as much hay as he normally does despite his appetite still being there. I know that hay is very important for a rabbit’s digestive system and for wearing down teeth so I’m really worried. Also, another problem im finding is that when he gets fed his pellets in the morning by my mum (im at school during that time), i come home to find it uneaten but as soon as i stick the bowl in front of him he finishes it in minutes??? Any advice would be much appreciated🥺

I would look around if there are horses somewhere close and try a bale (or asking for a bag full) of horse quality grass hay, and offer lots of it.
Also, they are greedy little things, making munching motions with your hand in the hay can make them try it.

You might want to reduce his pellets to treat level, unless he's a really big bunny he doesn't need a lot of that. They don't starve in front of a huge pile of food.

Well, atr least that's what I would do.

I would look around if there are horses somewhere close and try a bale (or asking for a bag full) of horse quality grass hay, and offer lots of it.
Also, they are greedy little things, making munching motions with your hand in the hay can make them try it.

You might want to reduce his pellets to treat level, unless he's a really big bunny he doesn't need a lot of that. They don't starve in front of a huge pile of food.

Yes there are bales of hay and the hay I buy is bagged from those bales (they’re right next to each other in stock feed stores) so idk if its gonna make any difference? Currently he’s about 4-5 pounds and only gets around 1/8 cup of oxbow adult essentials each day.

From my experience, this is usually a battle of wills. Be strong.

They will eat the hay, if it's their only (or most plentiful) option... but will hold out for junk. You can ask my Lawrence all about this, he's a greedy little pig, and the only reason he eats hay is because daddy is mean! 🤣

From my experience, this is usually a battle of wills. Be strong.

They will eat the hay, if it's their only (or most plentiful) option... but will hold out for junk. You can ask my Lawrence all about this, he's a greedy little pig, and the only reason he eats hay is because daddy is mean! 🤣

Feels like im the losing one lol. I just feel like im being mean to him. Hopefully he starts eating more hay in the coming weeks, if not I’ll probably try another type of hay😔

You could try sticking the hay in stuff so it’s poking straight up and easy to grab & stick it all over the place stuffed into paper rolls. Hide things in the hay like dry herbs or a smidge of banana. Also act like you’re eating the hay. Also put fresh down daily, they like the smell of freshness :p

Latest posts

Back