How to encorage bun to use second floor on hutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys! We brought back Bambi and her new partner Duke yesterday from their bonding weekend, or some may say honeymoon 😂, they aren't totally in love yet, they aren't fighting or nipping so all seems okay. Basically the shelter advised slowly increasing their space, so today i opened the second floor of their hutch but Duke doesn't really seem to understand what it is. Bambi goes to the second floor and chills, but Duke doesn't really get the concept and will stretch over the ramp and stay on the floor. Bambi actually uses this to her advantage and sits there to get her 'downtime' away from him and he panics a bit thinking she's gone somewhere. I've tried enticing him with treats and things but he stretches his feet and eats them so it beats the purpose, any ideas?

Give it time. I've had a few rabbits that just took awhile (days or weeks) before they ventured to upper levels. He'll figure it out eventually. ;)

Is the ramp slippery? If so, he may not want to go up it because he doesn't feel like his footing is sure.

Is the ramp slippery? If so, he may not want to go up it because he doesn't feel like his footing is sure.

I don't think it's slippery, but he actually he got the hang of it today, so all is okay!

How big is their space? maybe try increasing their space horizontally rather than vertically
The rescue advised us to increase their space 1ft at a time as Duke sometimes can get panicked and try to mount Bambi so they told us to be very gradual. They also told us to give them the first floor on day one, the second floor on day two, and then the rest of their space over the next week or so. Today I'm going to increase their space horizontally, thanks for the suggestion <3

Is there some non slip material on the ramp? Rabbits don't have pads on their feet like cats and dogs do, they have furry soles and so they slip very easily and that's scary for them. If you can put carpet, or some sort of non-slip rubber like stable matting on the ramp it would give your buns more confidence once they find the ramp is no longer slippery. Or give them a 'staircase' instead. A couple of things of different heights and quite substantially sized flat surfaces (non-slip) so they can use those instead to get up and downstairs. It is better though rather than using a 2 storey hutch to increase space, to increase the footprint of what they have.
We have just added a new page to our website a few weeks ago about our space recommendations Space recommendations

It is better though rather than using a 2 storey hutch to increase space, to increase the footprint of what they have.
We have just added a new page to our website a few weeks ago about our space recommendations Space recommendations

We are increasing their footprint daily, eventually they will have 35 square feet, but the shelter specifically asked us to give them the second floor and then once they are used to that to open up the hutch into their free roam area. When they are able to have their full area they won't end up spending much time in their hutch it's more of a home-base (where they both flop and sleep in). Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into ramp covers, although he has started using the ramp, but I'll look into it anyway <3

Don't know what your cage looks like, but I've found that oftentimes a ramp isn't even necessary. Rabbits are agile hoppers and can go from level to level (depending on the cage) without ramps.

Here's an old cage of mine that shows no ramps. Also a current cage (open all day --- so just a home base) that also has no ramp.

Attachments

• IM000411.JPG
    IM000411.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2 outside cage.jpg
    2 outside cage.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back