How to deal with matted fur on a baby?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alyssaur

Reaction score
This isn't an emergency, but I wasn't sure which section to ask this question in.

My fur-baby is nine weeks old, he's a Pekking Teddy-Rabbit, and I think he might have a mat on his lower belly.

The clump is not really hard, but it's not soft enough for me to comb out. It's about an inch and a half long but pretty thin.

It doesn't seem to bother him, however I know his fur is going to get much longer and I wouldn't want it to get any worse.

Do you have any advice on how I should handle this?

Despite this he seems quite happy. I'm pretty suprised to see him running the 'bunny 500' and binkying everywhere when he's only been home for a couple of days.

If you are unable to comb it out you can very carefully use a pair of scissors to clip it out- just be careful not to nick the skin. Then just keep him brushed regularly.

I thought of that, but I'm scared to use scissors near him. What if I use nail clippers?

I also am afraid to upset him this soon. He's doing so great getting used to a new home, family, and food that I don't want to risk stressing him over the edge

You could try getting an electric clipper. There are small ones for trimming dogs and horses or you could try one for humans (look in the mens grooming area). These can be about $10-15. It would be safer than scissors and cheaper than the big clippers used for dog grooming. As long as the fur it not matted close to the skin it should work. Be aware that some of these clippers are as good and it may take a bit of work to get it through rabbit fur.

Latest posts

Back