how to clip?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy101

Reaction score
Hello!

I jus waned to know if u guys have any easy way to cut nails. Teddy doesnt like when i touch her feet and paws. Every time Im always getting scratched by hey long nails(she doesnt do it on purpose). I saw nail caps for cats, is there an for rabbits? ( I doubt there is)I just wanted to know. Thanks!

When you set the clippers on the nail, apply hard pressure, but not enough to cut, to test if the rabbit flinches. If it flinches, then its likely you may be cutting into the blood filled area, which you want to avoid.

If it doesn't flinch or resist, then you're good to cut the nail.

But obviously, still visually check where you're cutting the nail. This applying pressure is just one extra step to ensure you're bunny isn't feeling pain before you cut the nail.

If you find a way that works for you, please post it here!

I had so much trouble trimming my rabbits' nails that I just gave up and started making quarterly appointments at the vet to have them trimmed. :(

The 'pressure' trick that JetFalcon mentions is demonstrated on the following video:

Ya that was the video where I learned that pressure technique. So far, my bunnies have not flinched, so I got the correct nail without bleeding.

I never try getting it as short as possible. And I only cut their nails when its too long like they could break it if they step incorrectly.

Latest posts

Back