how to change a free roaming bunny to a cage bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagrl

Reaction score
my bunny will now have to be in a cage at night and when i am not there. is there any suggestions that will make it easier on him. he is not doing good in his cage. he keeps biting and panicking wanting to get out.

Make him a large cage out of the NIC panels.

Mine have no problem being in their cages as they have lots of room to relax, play, eat, hop, sleep, use their litter box. They actually like their cage.

When I moved from a house to an apartment my 12+ year old Buttercup had to be caged. Because it was a large NIC cage he had no problems wih it.

Good Luck

Susan:)

I vote xpen :D Both of my girls have free roam all day and I tuck em in at night. Their pens are about 4X8feet, I just feed them when I want them to go to bed, at about 8-9, and they go in by themselves. Cages are too small for bunnies, NIC grids can be made a good size though, I just think its more of a PIA than an xpen :D
They'll even spend some of their free time lounging in there, even with the doors open.

yea i was going to get an xpen, i will get one, but my step dad bought me a cage and i dont want to be rude so i am using it for awhile. cause those things are expensive. he also bought flea and tick spary for rabbits, wich i have heard not to use, and deorderizing wipes, a huge bag of hay and food. i think he was excited about him comming up but he wont admit it. :)

Mine all have cages with an attached pen made of NIC panels.

The cages are about 3' x 2'.
The attached pens are about 3 1/2' x 2 1/2'.

Keep the cage open during the day so he can come and go as he wants. Also put the food and water and litter box in the cage so he has to go into the cage to eat, drink and use the litter box. You want to make the cage a place he will want to be and that he is comfortable in.

A large cage or pen that he feels comfortable in will help. A rabbit who is used to being out all the time won't be happy to be confined into a small cage. If the cage is big enough that he doesn't feel as confined and can move around, he should relax.

Regardless of what you use, we have a litter pan. several toys, water, food, a hay rack, carpeting and anything thing that we think they would like to have. When we let Bambi out for her exercise time we have to remember to close her door or she'll hop on the table an go back in her hutch. She's the bunny who puts herself up.

You could attach the ex-pen to the cage so that you step-dad sees that the cage is still being used. Plus it will give him a little more room as well, still having the cage plus the x-pen.

I wouldn't use the flea & tick spray on him...maybe around the area if it's safe for carpets. The deodorizing wipes are nice to have though!

Emily

Yea, that ^

My friend Kris puts a cage inside her X-Pen. The cage is a "safe" place for the Bunn when he doesn't want to be bothered, and the pen gives him room to run around. Just make sure the cage is against a wall, otherwise it will be a launch-pad for him to jump out of the pen.

As others have suggested, put food, water, litter and toys where you want him to stay when you need to contain him. This makes it a "good" place to be.

I use an X-Pen across the opening to my kitchen to keep the Zoomer contained when I'm not home. I leave the gate open when I'm home, even at night (he likes to sleep in bed with me at night). He's got the whole kitchen so there's lots of room.

Even though he can free roam when I'm home, he often stays in the kitchen anyway, because that's where he has plenty of hay to free feed on all day. I also give him his breakfast of pellets and veggies there in the morning.

Latest posts

Back