how to bunny proof skirtings/baseboards?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
hey everyone, i recently had a home check to adopt a bunny, and didn't meet the criteria. Now i understand most of it, but one point was that the room isn't bunny proofed and what happens if the bunnies start to chew on the skirtings? I've never heard of that before. What happens if a bunny chews on the skirtings and how do I bunny proof it? Thanks in advance :)

They might be reduced to splinters and flakes. My Fury did that in my last apartment, turned all plinth and baseboards, wood and PVC alike, into splinters, dust and flakes in the 8 months she was in there.

My current house rabbits don't chew anything in the house, well, I have to keep cables and cords away from Dotty.

If such a check would be a service offered to new buny owners, ok, great idea and big help. But that sounds like it's mandatory? Could never go through something like that, that invasion of privacy and making me obey their narrow opinion..., bad enough that police pays a visit every five years to check on my guns.

Last edited:
thank you. Yes, to be honest, I'm quite upset with the rescue because they refused us for very small reasons (such as baseboards lmao). I have just had my bedroom renovated (our whole house is being done, but my room was first because of Apollo), so I really want it to stay looking nice, especially because it was quite expensive too. Apollo has never made habit of chewing baseboards - only wires really. I don't think I'm going to do anything to it, it doesn't sound necessary. I've had him for two years and never had a problem.

thank you :)

while that could work, I think I'm just going to find another rescue. It'll save me time, money, and stress - it's £34 for 16 panels, and I wouldn't use them again.

As someone who had a rabbit for 3 years with no issue, and then adopted a 2nd rabbit and had several issues within the first month, I kind of understand where the rescue is coming from. Did you select a rabbit of interest already? Perhaps the rescue knows that rabbit is a baseboard/skirt chewer, or they know many of their rabbits have that tendency.

I think the C&C grids is a fine safeguard and they can end up being helpful if the rabbit has tendencies you didn't account for.

yeah, I understand that. My previous girl had the worst litter habits (though Apollo's litter training is pretty much without fault), but because I was aware of it before I got her, I could work on it.

I did choose a rabbit already, and they were supposed to start bonding this Sunday, pending the home check. They haven't given a reason as to why the baseboards are a problem, they just kind of said that the criteria hadn't been met and that was one of the reasons :/

yeah, I understand that. My previous girl had the worst litter habits (though Apollo's litter training is pretty much without fault), but because I was aware of it before I got her, I could work on it.

I did choose a rabbit already, and they were supposed to start bonding this Sunday, pending the home check. They haven't given a reason as to why the baseboards are a problem, they just kind of said that the criteria hadn't been met and that was one of the reasons :/
Sorry about that but why not go back to the Rabbit Residence Rescue, they really are one of the best rescues in the UK and as you've adopted from them before they are unlikely to turn you down. Which rescue was it that turned you down?

Yeah, I will probably go back to RRR - we had such a great experience with them. The other rescue was ****(edited to remove name). I don't think they're a bad rescue at all and I love all the work that they do. I think they just love their bunnies so much that they need them to go to the absolute best homes, which I don't think the average person can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have an ikea? They have some long wire things for cheap to put on baseboards

Latest posts

Back