How to bond bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellams26

Reaction score
I have two bonded rabbits both around the age of 2. One male and one female and I recently brought a new baby girl bunny into the house about 10 weeks old. The older rabbits absolutely hate the baby they hiss and grunt and chew at the baby’s cage trying to attack. I’m not sure what to do it’s been about 4 weeks since we got the baby and nothings gotten better. Will they ever be bonded?

Rabbits do best in pairs. Introducing a 3rd rabbit doesn't always work. Trios can be difficult to achieve. That said, it's surprising the bonded pair have been so hostile toward the baby. Often babies are accepted by adult rabbits... at least until the babe's hormones kick in. Then all heck can break loose. This is why it isn't advised to try to introduce a baby to an adult rabbit (even a single adult).

Once the little one's hormones kick in, things may become even more difficult. As this one matures, the bonded pair will see it differently. Sometimes the presence of a third rabbit can break the bond of an existing pair. So you may have a difficult road ahead.

There is a good resource on how to go about trying to establish a trio. But attempts really should not begin until after your baby is fixed. Then you'll need to wait about 2- 4 weeks after surgery to begin any bonding.

Here is that resource. There is a contents page on the right of that link. Go to #7 for Rabbit Groups & Trios

Rabbits do best in pairs. Introducing a 3rd rabbit doesn't always work. Trios can be difficult to achieve. That said, it's surprising the bonded pair have been so hostile toward the baby. Often babies are accepted by adult rabbits... at least until the babe's hormones kick in. Then all heck can break loose. This is why it isn't advised to try to introduce a baby to an adult rabbit (even a single adult).

Once the little one's hormones kick in, things may become even more difficult. As this one matures, the bonded pair will see it differently. Sometimes the presence of a third rabbit can break the bond of an existing pair. So you may have a difficult road ahead.

There is a good resource on how to go about trying to establish a trio. But attempts really should not begin until after your baby is fixed. Then you'll need to wait about 2- 4 weeks after surgery to begin any bonding.

Here is that resource. There is a contents page on the right of that link. Go to #7 for Rabbit Groups & Trios
I’ll look into reading that! Thank you, I have heard an already bonded pair could break apart because of that which is why I’m extra worried. Thank you for your help :)

Thank you soo much for your advice. I will keep this in mind, when I am good to get another bunny fren for our Elf. 🙏🤎

Latest posts

Back