How to ask vet for revolution?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwobunnies

Reaction score
If you remembered my last thread, I was having some skin problems with one of my rabbits - I thought I would wait to see if it was just dry skin? I guess I forgot about it and noticed just 10 minutes ago that my male is also started to get the EXACT same flaky skin and red bump in the EXACT same location as my other rabbit.

So I am going to call the vet tomorrow, but how should I go about asking for revolution? One of my rabbits has gotten treated for mites before - so she has been there before. Is a checkup for both necessary? I really don't have that much money now, and this vet is VERY pricey. (spent around 300$ last time my rabbit went there for a checkup + ivermectin treatments + I also got her poop checked)

How do I even ask the vet for revolution? "Hi, I want some revolution" doesn't sound too good. I guess I just need help on wordage.

Also does this sound like mites or something else? Exact same symptoms in the exact same place on my other rabbit!

If one has been treated before, were they given revolution? If they were, just tell the vet when you call that the mites seem to have returned and you need another tube of revolution. If they say that you DO have to bring them in for a check up, tell them(more like beg them) just for the revolution. Tell them the truth, you don't have enough money to bring both in and you can only really spare for the meds. And you're trying to fix what is wrong with them, without giving up food for yourself. Hopefully, if you have a nice vet then they'll let you just pick up the revolution without seeing the vet. I hope you have a nice country vet who understands.
Make sure you tell them its for a rabbit, so they give you the kitten revolution and make sure you tell them how much they weigh so they give you the right tube size. And make sure to treat them both again in 14 days, to get the next cycle of mites.

Hope the mites clear up!

if you can't get the revolution from your usual vet without an appointment, you might also try cat/dog vets... if you get shot down telling them it's for a bunny on the first couple you try, then switch to saying your kitten has fleas or something when you call the next one :p. fleas are pretty obviously self-diagnosable, so they probably won't push to see your "kitten".

Thanks! I am going to call in like 30 minutes or something, and no when my one of my rabbits had mites she got treated with ivermectin. Thanks for that sneaky little advice, Imbrium :p I will try that if it doesn't work! Will I need two bottles since both of my rabbits have mites?

yeah, you'll need two of the kitten dose... it usually comes in a 3-pack or something, though. just make sure you get revolution or advantage - frontline can be fatal to bunnies!

Pushing for a kitten one is definitely not going to work. If they have never seen your kitten they will not give you a prescription or fill one for revolution. Revolution is a flea and heartworm prevention for cats and dogs. Heartworm meds are not given without an Rx which is why they are not sold in stores. It can be very dangerous and a vet has been preached to not take that chance due to being accused of malpractice.

Your best bet is to tell them the truth. That you have no money and a bald spot is coming back. Make sure to tell them it is spreading if you need too and that if it doesn't work you will try to bring them in. It should take care of it if it is mites but you might want to ask if you need to repeat treatment since they came back a second time after only one treatment.

And as far as I know advantage is not used for mites. Missyscove might be able to help me but I believe out of the two revolution is the only one used for mites

Last edited:
ohh, ****, I forgot all about the heartworm part... yeah, the kitten thing totally won't work.

Thanks, I called the first vet and said that I think my rabbits have a case of mites and I was wondering if I could get some revolution without needing to bring them in for a checkup - the first vet said I needed to and the second said I just needed to bring them in to get weighed and if my rabbits don't get better after the 2 doses I should come back and figure out what is really wrong with them, so I got the revolution and applied it last night and also got the cost of how much spaying my rabbit would cost! Thank you for your help!

Glad you were able to get a hold of some revolution. It's a great product for rabbits as well as dogs and cats because it really does have a broad spectrum against ectoparasites, but yes it is also used as a heartworm preventative in dogs and dogs should not be placed on heartworm preventative unless they have tested negative for heartworm disease, so revolution is prescription only. A vet can legally only dispense prescription drugs, especially for off-label usage like with revolution (it's not labeled for use in rabbits, but extra label use is very common in vet med because every drug simply isn't tested in every animal against every disease), if they have a valid Veterinary Client Patient Relationship meaning, among other things, they have examined the animal before and they trust you to follow their directions. The whole VCPR thing really comes down to protecting the food supply because drugs can be used extra labelly in food animals and the vet has to trust you to, say, not use milk from that cow treated with that drug until we can be sure there won't be any drug in the milk.
All that said, there are definitely vets that will give you revolution if you say it's for a rabbit.

I know this is old but I want to bring it back up. I need to call my vet tomorrow and get this immediately because I am fairly sure my rabbit has ear mites and I want to get rid of them ASAP so he doesn't give them to my other rabbit and my dog. So my question is, would y'all trust 1800petmeds and also if I get some revolution how many boxes do I need to get. Just one because it has 3 doses right? They all have a vet visit on the 18th but I hate him to be suffering til then. He is 5 lbs and Phoebe is 3 lbs. so could I get the kitten revolution for 5lbs and be okay?
Thank y'all!

I dont trust pet meds and i honestly dont know how fast they could get it to you. . .There are huge questions about counterfeits of veterinary products. Counterfeits are very prominant and mainly come from online pharmacies. Now I cant say if petmeds is apart of it but I personally wouldnt.

Another way to treat ear mites is by using ivermectin. You can put 2-3 drops in each ear and retreat in 2 weeks if necessary. We and other breeders use this and its effective.

LOL my mom just reminded me. You have to have a prescription approved anyways from a vet in order to get the product. . .
We have either via email or fax at the vets office an RX approval request comes in from petmeds. We have to look at the patients chart and make sure we have recently seen the patient and that they are up to date on tests. If they arent then they arent approved.

yeah, 1-800-petmeds requires a prescription. if you find a place to buy it online that doesn't require a prescription, odds are high that the medication will be counterfit or expired, so definitely don't buy it. I would phone the vet and ask if it's possible to get a prescription/the medication without an appointment.

If your vet has seen your rabbit fairly recently, they will probably be willing to prescribe you the revolution without actually seeing the rabbit. It is illegal for then to prescribe drugs to you without a valid VCPR (veterinary client patient relationship) as described above.
I'm not a fan of online pharmacies, but that's largely because I recognize how important selling products is to keeping a veterinary hospital in business. Legally though, if your vet wants to prescribe something and you ask for a written prescription, they have to give you one at no additional charge.

I actually stopped in at my vet just a few days ago and picked up some of the kitten/puppy revolution for my pair after finding a tick in my house. The $15/dose was worth my peace of mind as it's very hard to check a solid black bunny for ticks.

My vet that has seen Buster only comes once a month, silly I know but all other vets are far and soooo pricey! And they probably won't prescribe me any revolution since they may think rabbits can't use it....I assume. I think it may be easier to get some ivermectin until their vet date on the 18th. Thank y'all for y'all's help!!!! <3

yes and we use ivomec 1% solution. Its for cattle but we only put a couple of drops in each ear and retreat in 2wks. Be aware that ivermectin can be toxic to dutch and blue eyed white rabbits.

Latest posts

Back