How to arrange the cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinto

Reaction score
I would like to ask for suggestions or advice concerning the arrangement inside the cage.

My problem is that Tinto wouldn’t eat from the feeder (hay rack?) and I have to put the hay on the ground. I know that rabbit like to pee/poop while eating so I suppose the food has to be close to the litter box, which is preferable in a corner. So I usually put the hay close to the litter box but sometimes he just stands on the hay itself while eating it and sometimes eats it even from the other side, which means leaving poops all around/inside the hay (the better case) or even peeing on/next to it.

On the opposite side of the litter box, again in a corner, there is the bowl with the pellets and a cup with water (with a bottle above it, from which he drinks only rarely though). Should I rearrange the things inside the cage??

Attachments

• E16C70DE-31BB-4B32-B4BD-F0380FE58207.jpeg
    E16C70DE-31BB-4B32-B4BD-F0380FE58207.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 68
That litter box isn't an appropriate size. The bunny should be able to stretch out in it. I put the hay directly in my buns litter box. He prefers it that anyway

is your bunny free roam? that cage looks a little small. But i didn't want to chew you out about your cage lol. but i would move the litter box to the other side of the cage so they have more room by the litter box.

Would it be better if I for example simply put some newspaper on the bottom and hay over it (in the same corner as now, since the bun seems to be already accustomed to that position)?

Yeah, the cage door is open all the time... actually the rabbit has another fence around it so it’s a playpen more wide that it looks...

I do appreciate any advice :)

Would it be better if I for example simply put some newspaper on the bottom and hay over it (in the same corner as now, since the bun seems to be already accustomed to that position)?

I agree that the litter box is too small. It should be very large. But I would not suggest just using newspaper topped with hay because it does nothing to absorb odor.

If there is a pen around the cage that bunny has permanent access, it isn't unreasonable to turn the entire cage (the one on wheels) into one litter box. You could even remove the wire top portion.

For inside a litter box, try wood pellets (different than shavings) topped with hay.

I'm going to attach two photos. One is from another member and how she turned a rabbit cage into a glorified litter box surrounded by an ex-pen. The other is an ex-pen cage with a large litter box. The food dishes are placed in the pen near the litter box. These photos show how you can re-purpose your current cage on wheels or (another possibility) don't use it at all.

The idea with both of these options is to have a proper large litter box. A large litter box with an odor-absorbing litter that is topped with hay will encourage good potty habits (and make clean up easier for you).

upload_2019-3-10_19-27-56.png

upload_2019-3-10_19-28-23.png

I can understand that the litter box should be bigger. I tried to replace it with a plastic tray, but still there are things I don't get. Am I supposed then to change the whole content every day, since the hay and the wood pellets get soaked with urine. Or can I leave the hay from the top or from the side where it's clean for the next day? What is everybody doing?

I can understand that the litter box should be bigger. I tried to replace it with a plastic tray, but still there are things I don't get. Am I supposed then to change the whole content every day, since the hay and the wood pellets get soaked with urine. Or can I leave the hay from the top or from the side where it's clean for the next day? What is everybody doing?
Your rabbit won't pee everywhere in the box, only in one or two spots most likely corner, so you can put wood pellets all over but check in a couple days, maybe twice a week and you will see where the wet spot(s) are. You can remove the wet spots and move some unused dry wood pellets there, that would be fine for anther few days. In a week or two when you are sure he goes only in his spots you only place wood pellets there and the rest of the box just fill with hay.

By the way, if you wipe his urine with paper towel you can put it under hay where you think is good to pee and he will smell it and hopefully will pee in that corner. I always put some soiled hay there after cleaning the box.

Also I see you have there an insert looks like perforated plastic there, I made the same for my toilet box and placed wood pellets under this insert, that's because one of my rabbits was digging her box and eating the wood pellets, now she can't reach them so her box is much tidier now.
Wood pellets are really great.

Your cage looks really small I don't know what size is your rabbit if I had this size (looks like 60x40cm?) and if there's an insert perforated as I said, I would just put wood pellets on the right side under that insert and would cover the whole floor with hay. He'd only pee in the corner so there's no need to change it everywhere, just the wet spot. One of my rabbits is a dwarf mix, his box is 28x45 cm, I only change the wet spot once a week because there is no bad smell at all, only right top corner and wood pellets are only there and I put some under his water bottle just dripping so keep it dry and nice.

Hay. I give much more hay just place over the toilet box and inside of box.

I'd like to see your rabbit too if you could post some pics :)

Wood pellets are super, super absorbent and expand when wet. Here is a visual for you of a fresh clean litter box beside one that has been in the cage for a whole week (with daily additions of hay).

After one week (with one rabbit), the contents are dumped, box rinsed, and new one started.

(If you have loose hay anywhere on the floor other than the large litter box, then bunny may decide to pee wherever there happens to be hay.)
upload_2019-3-14_15-57-50.png

I've just 'improved' toilet box for my new bun I have her for nearly 2 weeks she is 9 months old lop girl very pretty and fluffy and was an outside rabbit since she was 3 months old, now she's an indoor rabbit and she was great with her toilet first week, only went into her box but when I cleaned cages yesterday I found a big puddle of urine under the box in one corner, the box is good size large enough for her unfortunately isn't high enough for her and I made another one of a plastic storage container it was too high so I just made a hole as an entrance. I filled it with wood pellets and hay and added some soiled hay into corners where were her spots in her box and she kinda liked it but in the morning I found lots of hay and pellets in the middle of the cage and she keeps digging her box I am so frustrated I've spent a few hours yesterday on cleaning and making improvements for her and my other 4 months old lop girl who's also making lots of mess lately.
I thought it's all perfect now, it is so unfair I am feeling very unhappy and didn't want to talk to her just told her I don't like the mess and gave her her food and drink and sitting now very unhappy and hopeless and don't know what to do. Unfortunately I don't drink otherwise I'd have a drink now, definitely. Think it's time for shopping.

I couldn't find suitable toilet box, the latest ones I bought for the three of my rabbits were wall to wall in their cages and working perfectly for Leo, but he's a small breed and very tidy inside his cage (but when out of cage he poops everywhere including on me and sprays his territory just found his messages on walls I didn't like it). Fred my other adult male rabbit has his corner toilet, larger than in OP's photo, he's not very small fluffy lionhead but that corner toilet is perfect for him, he only uses it even I gave him another rectangular box in the other corner but it is perfectly dry just dry poops and no berries on the floor in his cage or when he's out in playpen. He just uses the rectangular box as his bed it is soft because of the wood pellets underneath and cut hay on top and pellets are there for a month and more like dust mixed with hay, very nice bed he loves it, I am just adding more cut hay there and he's happy.
He's a very good rabbit very responsible and good character, I have him about two months now he was left on street in cardboard box. Here's his cage.
I keep some cut hay on his floor as he's very fluffy and afraid to walk on plastic floor but he never digs his toilet or anything, there's no berries on his floor everything is in his blue toilet, some berries in his bed as well but massive part and 100% pee in his toilet.
P1030351.JPG

I know his box looks way too small for him but he's very happy with it I have a bigger box but don't want to make changes because he likes it. Can't upload another image for some reason maybe will try later.

His cage is 100 x 50 cm.

P1030362.JPG

I've managed to upload another photo but there's one more and it says error maybe in next post
He's very fluffy but not heavy and actually very thin under his fur, and he likes small places.

Last edited:
So cute! I have Lionhead mixes...so cute, but mine are mostly black with "sprinkles" of white or tan, in the sun they are also reddish....but your little one is SO cute!

Also, be sure they are not treated. the best bet is made for Horses pine pellets. They are bunny safe....and work GREAT for odor...and I know, with 28 rabbits it has been a great find. I get mine from a tractor store or a "concord" feed store. 40lbs for about $9.

I hear everyone talk about "wood pellets" . Are these the same ones that you actually use in wood stoves?

Yes, those are one option. They can be hard or soft woods. The only ones to avoid are any that state they have added accelerant. However I have yet to find or see any wood stove pellets that have accelerants. Wood stove pellets are typically found in hardware stores.

Horse pellet bedding is basically the same thing. They are found in feed stores. Some are somewhat crumbled. I don't care for those -- don't think they work as well. I look for solid pellets. They look identical to wood stove pellets.

I am sorry for responding with a bit of delay but I tried to rearrange the cage. What do you folks think about it? Tinto doesn’t spend much time in there, usually jumps in only for eating and pooping. I hope he likes it better now, although it seems to me the litter box might be a little too shallow...

Attachments

• 52B28334-F35E-4B32-96BD-7051D7941739.jpeg
    52B28334-F35E-4B32-96BD-7051D7941739.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 26
  • F7E21DF9-26CE-4826-9686-1C91D8A8198B.jpeg
    F7E21DF9-26CE-4826-9686-1C91D8A8198B.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 26
  • CDEAD3A6-DB4C-4D1B-802E-F831E3BA0DE3.jpeg
    CDEAD3A6-DB4C-4D1B-802E-F831E3BA0DE3.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 22
A new picture of my bun...

Attachments

• 94429466-2AF8-4882-9C35-7D39543139CD.jpeg
    94429466-2AF8-4882-9C35-7D39543139CD.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 11
The area looks good, Tinto! As long as he is using the cage for potty and eating, that is just fine. That is really all it is for anyway.

One thing you may want to consider is switching to a water bowl instead of the bottle. They tend to drink more from a bowl and it is a more natural way for them to drink. You can get ones that attach to a clamp so it can't be tipped or spilled.

Be careful of the grid connectors. They have a bad habit of popping loose. I couldn't tell in the photo if you reinforced them with zip ties. I only used zipties and skipped the connectors altogether.

It's hard to tell if the litter box is shallow without seeing your bunny inside it ;)
If it does it's job than no worries.

Latest posts

Back