How should I feed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaden

Reaction score
Hi, I am getting ready to own a rabbit and have a question. I was wondering if the feeding guidelines (link to feed and pictures included) are for if you are feeding vegetables too because I am. I had plans to do 2 tbsp(1/8 cup)of pellets in the morning and 2 cups of vegetables at night (rabbit is 4-5 pounds). Is this to much food, not enough or does it sound good?

Proper diet depends on your rabbit's age. Also, when you get your new rabbit, it is very, very important that you do not make any diet changes whatsoever for at least several days and up to a couple weeks.

Regardless of bunny's age, you should get some of the pellets that he's been used to eating. You can use these pellets to slowly transition him to your chosen pellets (after he's had at least a few days to settle in). He should keep eating whatever he's been used to eating for about a week. (rabbits under 6 months of age don't need their pellet amount to be limited provided they are eating plenty of hay)

Hay he should have unlimited at all times. Find out what hay he has been eating. You want him eating his body size in hay every day. You can mix a different grass hay in with what he's used to if you like.

Find out if he's been getting fed any greens or veggies. If he has, find out what kinds, how much and how often. Greens (think more in terms of greens than veggies) need to be introduced just one type at a time and only a little bit. Suddenly giving greens to a rabbit not used to them can cause serious stomach upset. A rabbit not used to plenty of greens needs to be worked up very slowly to eating 2 cups per day.

You can read more about diet here if you like.

Proper diet depends on your rabbit's age. Also, when you get your new rabbit, it is very, very important that you do not make any diet changes whatsoever for at least several days and up to a couple weeks.

Regardless of bunny's age, you should get some of the pellets that he's been used to eating. You can use these pellets to slowly transition him to your chosen pellets (after he's had at least a few days to settle in). He should keep eating whatever he's been used to eating for about a week. (rabbits under 6 months of age don't need their pellet amount to be limited provided they are eating plenty of hay)

Hay he should have unlimited at all times. Find out what hay he has been eating. You want him eating his body size in hay every day. You can mix a different grass hay in with what he's used to if you like.

Find out if he's been getting fed any greens or veggies. If he has, find out what kinds, how much and how often. Greens (think more in terms of greens than veggies) need to be introduced just one type at a time and only a little bit. Suddenly giving greens to a rabbit not used to them can cause serious stomach upset. A rabbit not used to plenty of greens needs to be worked up very slowly to eating 2 cups per day.

You can read more about diet here if you like.
Ok thank you just to double check though, Do you think that package feeding instruction is based on have the 2 cups of of per day as well as the pellets?

I have seen places that say you should be giving your rabbit 1/4 a scoop of pellets every day, as well as vegetables. The amount of vegetables a rabbit needs depends on its weight. For every 2 pounds your rabbit weighs, they should have 1 cup of vegetables. It seems like you are doing everything right. And also, like they said above, be sure to gradually give your rabbit more food, if you find they had been eating less before. This is to prevent him from having digestive issues. Unlimited hay is needed too. Good luck with your new rabbit! I am sure you will love having a companion and a new best friend!

I have seen places that say you should be giving your rabbit 1/4 a scoop of pellets every day, as well as vegetables. The amount of vegetables a rabbit needs depends on its weight. For every 2 pounds your rabbit weighs, they should have 1 cup of vegetables. It seems like you are doing everything right. And also, like they said above, be sure to gradually give your rabbit more food, if you find they had been eating less before. This is to prevent him from having digestive issues. Unlimited hay is needed too. Good luck with your new rabbit! I am sure you will love having a companion and a new best friend!
Thank You Very Much!!

A 5-7 lb rabbit is recommended to receive about 1/4 cup pellets, about 2 cups of greens, and unlimited hay each day. (adult)

These are average recommendations. The amount of pellets may be adjusted depending on the bunny. For example, if a rabbit is reluctant to eat enough hay, then pellets may be reduced. If bunny is super active, eats lots of hay and gets a couple cups of greens each day, but starts to get thin, then more pellets may be recommended.

Latest posts

Back