How Quick Can a Bunny Get Pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So about 2 days ago my female rabbit got out with our male (both about two years old). I was there when it happened and didn't realize they were both out until the boy began chasing the girl. The two were only together for about 20 seconds maybe before I split them up. From what I saw (my back was turned to them initially when they first found each other), the male didn't even fully mount the female. However, because I know rabbits like to work magic sometimes, I'm a bit on edge and wondering if I should have an emergency spay done on the female because we already have too many rabbits.

My question is: Do I have reason for concern? Even though they were only out for a very short period of time, is there still a chance that my female is pregnant? Is it rational to get an emergency spay done? Thanks.

Side note: I know it's important to spay rabbits regardless of pregnancy or not, I just don't have the right funds for that right now.

dogwoodblossoms

Reaction score
As you said, rabbits work miracles, and somehow get pregnant with no problem. But seeing as he barley mounted her, I would guess there wasn't enough time for them to breed, but just keep an eye on her. A two year old rabbit getting pregnant is not ideal haha, her hips have fused together at this point so if she is pregnant birth could be a struggle.
Just keep an eye out for pregnant behaviors, aggressiveness, nesting, mass eating, etc.

Blue eyes

Staff member
Reaction score
It takes seconds. If you weren't watching the entire time, there's no way to know whether he was "successful."
Spaying is a good idea anyway, so if you are concerned, it may be a good excuse to get it done. The vet may have a payment plan option.