How old are your does when you retire them from breeding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Some of my does I know that I will be rehoming when they are younger and can still be bred....

But with most of my does, I want to breed them until "retirement age" and then neuter them and home them as pets (a couple of them I will keep for old times' sake and I have plans for their "retirement home" - but that's a different story.

My question is - at what age should I retire my does if I want to get them neutered? I'm sort of leaning towards three or four at the latest....I hate to retire them at 2 but I need to talk to my vet to find out what age she would recommend.

I know I'm sentimental - but I believe (for my own rabbitry) that once a doe has reached her retirement age, she's "earned" the right to have a healthy life without the risk of cancer...

...it's just a matter of figuring out the right age for retirement!

Peg

Don't really know much on this subject but I like how you keep the does for retirement or sell them to goodhomesand not just get rid of them at your convenience. Maybe look into the years when surgery comes more riskier. I've read that some vets won't spay a female over 6 years old as it's too risky so like you said maybe around 3-4?

I guess it would depend on each situation (and the breed).

I know a few Mini Rex that are 5/6 years old that are still producing regularly. My oldest does are 2 1/2 yrs old and are doing great... not showing signs of retirement time yet.

Latest posts

Back