How often to change out the hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgos17

Reaction score
Hi! Does hay go bad? How often do you take the hay out of the bin and replace it? Why does it seem like she doesn't like some of it?

Rabbits are naturally picky, they don’t eat the pieces they think are dirty or bad.
I use up all the hay that I have before I get new bale, but if the hay is getting moldy, slimy, or has bugs in it, you need to replace it.
Your rabbit may also not be eating the pieces that aren’t as sweet lol.
If you rabbit doesn’t like the hay at all I recommend try a different kind (orchard grass, oat hay, or Timothy hay which is probably what your using) or even mixing two or three kinds. I had one rabbit who would only eat the tops of the hay (which is kind of like a flower) for the longest time.

Hi! Does hay go bad? How often do you take the hay out of the bin and replace it? Why does it seem like she doesn't like some of it?
I ended up putting his hay in a hanging fruit basket that has large holes. I found that when it was in the box it would get soiled so then he wouldn’t eat it & a lot more was wasted. With the hanging basket, he still does waste some but not nearly as much! 4042B64D-A004-4F85-A7E8-F1ADFA1BF951.jpeg

Rabbits are naturally picky, they don’t eat the pieces they think are dirty or bad.
I use up all the hay that I have before I get new bale, but if the hay is getting moldy, slimy, or has bugs in it, you need to replace it.
Your rabbit may also not be eating the pieces that aren’t as sweet lol.
If you rabbit doesn’t like the hay at all I recommend try a different kind (orchard grass, oat hay, or Timothy hay which is probably what your using) or even mixing two or three kinds. I had one rabbit who would only eat the tops of the hay (which is kind of like a flower) for the longest time.
thank you so much! this is very helpful!

Hay doesn't typically go bad unless it gets water on it. Try to get a sweeter, softer or mixed hay.
thank you!
I ended up putting his hay in a hanging fruit basket that has large holes. I found that when it was in the box it would get soiled so then he wouldn’t eat it & a lot more was wasted. With the hanging basket, he still does waste some but not nearly as much! View attachment 57437
great idea! so cute! love your set up!

Latest posts

Back