How often do you clean your rabbit's cage and litter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I clean Peppers litter every other day, his cage i do once a week to every two weeks if its not super dirty. Pepper is pretty clean and litter trained. I use the care fresh bedding as his litter and i usually dont smell anything.

I clean my bun Lucifer’s house every single day aswell as his litter box. He isn’t fully litter trained, so he likes to go to the bathroom all over his cage!

Hazel, our little sunshine bunny is ten weeks old. We’ve had her a little over two weeks now. She’s in a bunny condo most of the time, but I keep her cage door wide open a few hours throughout the day so she can roam and do binkies. First thing every morning, I let her out and that’s when I clean her little condo. She’s pretty good at the litter pan. I use thick recycled paper shavings with a small layer of hay on top, and over that is an iron grill for her to step onto, and on top of the grill, I lay out longer straws of hay, sprinkled on top and middle with dry mint leaves and dried marigold flowers as her “potpourri” ~ the mint leaves her litter pan smelling so lovely and fresh. It’s kept in the hutch part of her condo, and she even snuggles right up to her pan for a nap sometimes.

As for the front area of her condo, we use a small glass bowl for water, and on occasion, she tips it over, soaking everything to the point she can’t even lounge over there and is stuck in her hutch area til I notice it and have to clean it. We used to use a water bottle for my first bunny, Bailey, but I read about the bacteria build up in those bottles, so I thought to try a bowl for our new bun, Hazel.

We haven’t quite arrived ~ It’s all still a work-in-progress ‍♀️

As for the front area of her condo, we use a small glass bowl for water, and on occasion, she tips it over, soaking everything to the point she can’t even lounge over there and is stuck in her hutch area til I notice it and have to clean it.We used to use a water bottle for my first bunny, Bailey, but I read about the bacteria build up in those bottles, so I thought to try a bowl for our new bun, Hazel.

We haven’t quite arrived ~ It’s all still a work-in-progress ‍♀️

There are bowls of different types that attach to a clamp so they can't be tipped or spilled. That may help!

Attachments

• water bowl.png
    water bowl.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 3
This is what my cage looks like after 4 days when I had 2 rabbits. Now it takes a week to get this messy with just one rabbit.
The cage door is open all day every day.
So when it looks like this (after 1 week with 1 rabbit) I clean out the litter box and sweep up the cage. Between cleanings it honestly does not smell at all. I add hay twice per day.
View attachment 37403

I bought a haystack litter box combo. Charlie is usually pretty clean. Just a few territorial poos around it. I clean and refill every 3rd day. I vaccum with a mini pet vac daily. He makes a lot of fur dust bunnies.

Attachments

• 20190417_223516.jpg
    20190417_223516.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190414_190652.jpg
    20190414_190652.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 17
We have carpet throughout our girls room which we clean up everyday as we do in the hutch. The only place we have sawdust is in their litter trays which we do either every day or every other day

Latest posts

Back