How often do you clean their cages?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hummer

Reaction score
I cleaned out her litter pan, swept up all theloose poopies and hay, gave her fresh pellets and when that was done, Igave her her greens. Well, not 24 hours later, you cannottell I cleaned it!:shock: She even pushed her little bed offof the shelf in some sort rebellious fit I think. Right nowbeing the middle of the day, she looks all innocent and just laysthere, little stinker! She is also peeing outside of thelitter box for some reason, maybe I should move the box to where she ispeeing now?

So how often do you clean out the cage? Every day-every otherday-as needed? Right now I am between the every other day-asneeded phase.

7 buns=7 cages=7 litter pans

I change the litter pans every day.

Cages get cleaned once a week.

I've given up on Binkie, though. She trashes her cage within 5 minutesof me cleaning it. Empties her hay and strews it all over thecage...digs all of the litter out of her pan...piles all of her stuffin the empty litter pan..turns her food bowl over...etc.

I clean all my cages thoroughly once a week, butthere's certain buns at my house that are very, very messy so theircages get cleaned out on a as-needed basis in addition to the weeklycleaning. I estimate it takes me about 2 1/2 to 3 hours on Saturdays toclean all the cages.

My mom commands me to clean Emmy's cage everday or two. Talk about stinkage! :p
We clean her cage everyday because Emmy isn't litter trained, I'mafraid. So she just pee on the bottom tray of her cage and we have toclean it out.

I'm actually going to try and litter train her after school is over forsummer break. Oh how fun it'll be! Squirting that water gun[;

My rabbits cages get cleaned once a week.Sometimes more so in the summer because of the fly population. Theylive in the 'rabbit barn' therefore if the 'stinkage' is tolerable forme then I don't worry about it too much. I don't have people complainand if they do I remind them they are in a 'rabbit barn'. :pIdon't use any sort of bedding in my pans so the manure is easier to'get rid of' as my aunt is more then willing to take it. The once aweek cleaning takes about 45 mins to do with one person. Alltrays get cleaned, sprayed out, a bit of toliet bowl cleaner to get ridof the 'hard urine stains', and another spray down. I've had my plasticdrop pans for 6 years now and they STILL look as great as they did whenI first got them new.

Once a day, or every other day, depending on howmessy they've been. If they don't get their daily run time they tend totrash their cage :X, and I have to clean the whole thing out.Otherwise, I empty their litterbox once a day, and clean their drop panonce a week.

Ummmmmm.... what is a clean cage! Ijust did the cages half an hour ago and it now looks as bad as it didbefore I did it. Thinks my bunnies were interior decoratorsin another life, and not very good ones at that?!?!?! I thinkthey feel that if there is not poop in the cage or bedding put wereTHEY like it, it just isn't home. Oh and of course the dailyfood bowl toss. Am thinking that I should put that in for thenext olympics. Pez can toss his bowl from one end of the cageto the other. Ponders if this is a comment on my ability ofbeing his personal chef. Right now he his ripping all thenewspaper that lines the cage and putting it on the other side of thecage where the litter box is... maybe just a little light reading!

Wonders if there is such a thing as a bunny maid?

Susan

We clean ours every other day, although I'vebeen having a hard time going near it the past couple of times beingpregnant and super sensitive to bad smells. I never even noticed itbefore!

Litter boxes about every 3 days they get a fullchange out...the cage itself usually once a week...but I tore up myankle again and its impossible to get down there, or more like backup.....but they've had a turd fest so tonite I'm prolly gonna have todo so regardless of the leg!!! Goofy bunnies!

i clean out all our cages daily. butdo a really good scrubbing of vinegar/water mix once a week.more if needed with quarintine bunnies :) i know sometimes itdoesnt take long for them to mess it right back up lol

So sorry about the "turd fest", I feel yourpain! Yesterday, Miffy was outside in her hutch almost allday, so I was able to really clean her inside cage. I endedup taking it all apart, took it outside and really scrubbed indown. Then as I watched it dry, everything I scrubbed, well Idid not change a thing, it still looks yucky! And of coursethis morning it was a mess again, for some reason she has been peeingoutside of her box? Not sure why, just kinda annoyed withthat at the moment.

Oh they use thier litter box...but then theythrow it all over by playing and running thru there....Saturdaynite/Sunday morning about 2 am I think the boys had a party...they wereSOOOO loud and thats when they had the turdfest...I think there musthave been drinking involved cuz Corky has a lil scrape on his ear!! Butthey seemed to have had a good time...so I guess theres that toremember when I'm cleaning it up! All in all its worthit...they are alot of fun!! I Just gotta keep an eye on that ear andhide the smirnoff ice better I guess ;)

I don't ever clean Meat's cage, really... she'svery good about using her litter box & I figure the stray bitsof hay & shredded newspaper scattered about just makes it more"homey" for her. ;D I do sweep the area around her cage& her ex-pen about every week or so. I used to changeher litterbox every day, but she's recently decided that she only wantsto use the cat carrier in her ex-pen as a litterbox, & it's bigenough that it doesn't get nasty that quickly. I add a freshlayer of hay every day & then dump everything & scrubit down w/ vinegar about twice weekly.

Cleaning cages, hummmm....that should be my middle name. I wish my 8 guinea pigs were as clean as the bunnies.

As for my bun buns.....

I do litter boxes everyday. When it was Benny and Joon, I had to cleanthe cage everyday b/c Joon was messy with the poo. Thankfully she onlypee'd in the litter box b/c that cage is fully carpeted. After Joondied, I only vaccum it once a week to get the hair up. Benny'sextremely clean!!

Now Blossom, her cage gets cleaned everyday.She's great withthe litter box but she's a slob!! She has rag rugs in her cage.Everyday the bottom floor looks like a tornado's been through there.Hay everywhere, food that she digs out of her bowl, and the rugs allpushed around and piled up. She even pulls her water bottle off andplays with it...silly bunny.

I thoroughly clean my girls' cage every two tothree days. It wouldn't have to be done so often if they went in theirpan and only in their pan! (They use the pan to lounge in.)Igave up on the litter training for now, but next week when they getspayed, I hope it will be a new beginning on training. I heard it's alot easier to train fixed buns.

Latest posts

Back