how often do you clean the litter tray out ??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bexn2kids

Reaction score
hey all i just put a litter try in thumpers cage last night do you have to clean it every day ?? i normaly clean the cage out every 4 days is this ok ?? luv becks x

I'm not sure what litter you use, but I use newspaper and sometimes I have to clean it out twice a day.. atleast at the end of every day. I think 4 days might be a little too long, just with the factor incase your bun goes into statis, then you can't moitor the poop level. Also, it might start to smell and get uncomfortable for the bun with soiled 4 day old pee and poop. I clean my buns cage out regularly, because i'm a statis-maniac, and they're inside.

thank u very much hun what do u put in the rest of the cage ?? i popped new paper in the other bit and hay and newspaper in his litter box

I have a trianlge litter box, so I fold a few sheets of nespaper in there, then put shredded newspaper on top of it. For the rest of the cage, I put towels and newspaper (she's not totally litter trained yet).

thanks hun i think thumper is upset as he normaly lays in the corner on all the hay and stuff all snug but its not there now as i have put the hay in the litter tray, what sort of towels do u put in hun ?? will the rabbit chew the towel sorry about all the questions

I just use normal bath towels or face clothes, or if I have an old shirt, I use that. They normally don't chew it, although I do find teeth marks in it. No problem with the questions :).

Is ther another place you could put some hay if he likes to lie in hay? that might make him feel better! :)

ya i did put a bit in the corner he likes to sleep in, i tried to get him a house or something to sleep in yesterday but they didnt have any in my pet shop,

Very much of a build up in the tray can bring on maggots, especiallyduring the hot summer months, so I would keep it as clean as possible. I guess I wouldn't say any particular number of hours or days, as it would depend on how much your rabbit deposits every day. You could maybe just give your rabbit a cardboard box that is about the size of your rabbit. He could go in there for his "secure" feeling. Then he could chew on it, and when it is destroyed, cardboard boxes are easy to replace.

:yeahthat

I usually clean the wet litter and poops out of my litterboxes once a day. That's because if I leave it longer the pee spots tend to get completely soaked and I don't like my rabbits standing on large piles of poop while they munch on hay. But that doesn't mean that my cleaning routine will work best for you. If I only had Mocha, and not the other three, I could get away with cleaning less often (aside from sweeping her poop off the floor).

i do it ever day.

so i can see how many poops were done and so its extra clean.

i also use woody pet, or aspen shavings. it CAN get expensive since i dump it everyday so you can use newspaper and it would be free

Pebbles getstwo orthreeclean litter boxes a day. I just switch out a used one with a clean one. At the end of the day, I clean all them at once and it only takes 5 minutes. You can see the screen on top of the litter, which I lift out to pour the poops. Then I take a large kitchen spoon to scoop out onlythe wet litter, leaving agood portion of unused Woodypet remaining in the box. I justtop off a thin layerto refill the box. So everyday I am only throwing out about 4 or 5 scoops of fluffed upWoodypet which isn't much. :)

To give you an idea of how much I throw out.... It takes about a week to fill up a plastic shopping bag. :D

7802.jpg

Rainbows! :D

I clean my bun Rodney's litter tray once a day. I have to clean my other bun Layla's litter tray about 3 times a day, because she insists on sleeping in it and I don't want her sleeping in her poop and pee.

Both of my indoor buns have two litterboxes, which contain a litter comprised of wood pellet horse stall bedding. I clean out their litterboxes every other day, which with the type of bedding I use is perfect as far as absorbancy. :)

Edit: One other thing, their litterboxes are small kitty litterboxes...so they're rather big. :)

Latest posts

Back