How much would you pay for a rescue???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apebull

Reaction score
I have found this cutest lil Lop that I would like Twigs to meet, but the rescue charges $75 to adopt a bunny. I have no idea if this is a lot or not. I know this rescue is in LA and everything is expense there, but that just seems like too much.

So how much did/would you pay for a rescue???

Here's her link so you all can see the cuteness: http://www.bunspace.com/shelter/adoptable_photos?bunid=6535

Oh my goodness! She is adorable.

I don't know if thats too much or not. I think to adopt a bunny from my local shelter its like $50, but you get a spayed or neutered bunny. So your $75 in LA dollars could equal my $50 in South Carolina dollars.
If they go on a date and get along then I would get her! They would look SO good together!

I showed the pics to my husband and he was "oh and is that your Christmas present" LOL I didn't tell him the price. I just found it today on their web-site, he might not be to happy about it. That's why I'm trying to get what others paid so I can tell him it's normal. OH and they do fix them before adoption them :D.

I paid that for mine from a local rescue and from the House Rabbit Society since they were already fixed. The $15 bun I got from the SPCA then cost $400 for a spay with complications, so $75 is quite the bargin!

How can you put a price on so much cuteness? :)

If you think about nueter costs its a good price.

But more important you want to make sure its a decent rescue

And she is suuuper cute! Very petite looking lol

Apebull wrote:
OH and they do fix them before adoption them :D.

Then there it is! Thats what you tell your husband. I don't know how much you paid to have Twigs neutered, but if you don't have to pay for the spay yourself, then you're getting a good deal for a bun! I know its $190 for me to get my bun spayed and thats CHEAP.
Or, you could just tell him its normal, and he'll never be the wiser! Shhh...thats what I would do to my husband.

whitelop wrote:
Or, you could just tell him its normal, and he'll never be the wiser! Shhh...thats what I would do to my husband.
:roflmao: I actually laughed out loud with that one Morgan. And I had found a clinic to neuter Twigs and it was still $75 with pain meds. So you have a good point there.

I just emailed them again. And send the adoption form over. I hope they get back to me this time. But they do allow bunny dates and seem to ask good questions.

Also what questions should I ask them??? I did ask why she was up for adoption and if she had any medical issues. Her bio sounds good if you click her profile above her pics you can read about her. What do you guys think????:confused2:

I'm a fool for love. If Twigs likes her then go for it!

I have been helping with the bondings for the local rescue, it makes me so happy to help foster bunny love and teach people how to interpret body language. :inlove:

Really with rescues you may not have much history, but get what you can just so you know.

Most rescues get a smokin deal on spays/neutres. Usually like a "staff" price. It only cost around $20 to get my 2 done. I know a rescue around here that spays/neuters them then adopts the bunnys for free up to a max of $20 adoption fee. I know its a different country but its typically the same regardless of where you go. Places like the SPCA do it themselves so even less cost but most rescues would never survive if they paid full price for a spay/neuter/any procedure. The Shelter I stop by in Washington all the time is the same, free bunnys that come spayed/neutered.

Maybe its cause I'm cheap but I wouldn't pay $75 lol.

So many questions you could ask, it could go any way.

Oh yes $75 is a totally normal price. I paid $50 for Archie but the highest I've seen for a rescue in my area was $90 so I'd say $75 in LA is a great deal. And like others have said, it's cheaper than a spay :)

She is SO cute!! I'm like Brandy and kinda a sucker for a love story :) I've had an absolute joy bonding my two. It's stressful and time consuming but it's TOTALLY worth it and now I have TWO buns to love.

I say go for it! Do the bunny date, of course, to make sure they wont all out fight, but go for it.

As far as questions, hmmm, well ask about her personality. I wanted a bun that was litter trained or at least showed some halfway decent litterbox skills so that was a question I always asked.

I also had an arrangement with my rescue group that IF they fought like crazy I could bring him back. It's a last resort, of course, but you never know with buns.....

Other than that it's all about if Twigs likes her and if you do :) be prepared to house them separately for awhile and have a neutral area for bonding. I'm on day 26 and I'm pretty much there, although I've went pretty slow and methodical :)

Good luck! Let us know!

Get that bunny! :) Adorbs!

Just tell your husband that for getting your bunny neutered here, it is $450. I think he'll see what a bargain he's got in front of him. ;)

Well, I know some professional rabbitries that charge $50-75. We got Faith, with pedigree papers and all at $15.. Then again, her owner had another doe who was about to give birth and so she needed room in the hutch.

Then again, rescues tend to do more. They usually spay/neuter them, and sometimes add a microchip.(Not sure if you can microchip bunnies..) Also, if the bunny had any problems before, they do that too.

So yeah, probably a normal price.

That seems like a lot to me.
I got my bunnies for $15 each (both neutered) from the animal shelter.

I know as a former breeder that I charged someone $175 for 1 rabbit, and that is not unreasonable. I have a friend who regularly sells them for $300 or more. For an adoption fee I do not see that as a bad deal at all. Like everyone else said, you have to take in to consideration the price of a spay.

When I got Honey nearly a year ago, it was a $100 'donation'. I think it's perfectly reasonable, as she was already spayed, socialized, micro-chipped & litter-trained. After all, the staff all are volunteers, so the money goes for housing, food, etc.

It is worth it. If they live a long life it is only a small price to pay if you spread it out over his lifetime. It is weird anyways to pay for a new friend. But the rescues are always broke so I happily pay it. My female bunny was $35.00 in the shelter, incl. the spaying, she is lovely and totally worth it.

Crispin was $65 for a rescue in the DC area and he had been neutered already. I think $75 is a great deal, like others said, when you consider the fact that it includes the surgery. I like what someone else said about considering it a "donation." The money will go to help other buns, too!

Teddy cost $25, but I had to get her neutered myself, which was $115. Maya was free (she had been in the humane society so long they waived her adoption fee) but normally she would have been $75, I believe. And she was spayed by the humane society. So yeah, considering what you're saving by not having to pay for a spay, I'd say you're getting a pretty darn good deal.

Latest posts

Back