How much will a second rabbit cost?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
I have one rabbit (Apollo). My mum pays for vet bills and I pay for most of his food and other things. So I want to get a second rabbit and my parents have both, individually, decided that they don’t like the idea for separate reasons. My dad doesn’t want me to have two rabbits in my room, and my mum doesn’t want to pay a lot of vet bills, which is totally understandable (I live with my mum so it’s mainly her option that counts). So I’ve been saving some money, and I’m just wondering how much a second rabbit will cost. I wanted to get one from a breeder but the more I thought about it, the more I felt bad and decided I no longer wanted to get one, so I’ll get one from a shelter. Also what will a second rabbit need? Another litter box, more bowls?
So my questions:

1. How much money will a second rabbit cost (per month)?

2. What will a second rabbit need?

3. How much will i need to save before getting a second bunny (I only have £50 so far)

This is mainly thinking for the future so that I have a plan (and money 😂). Thank you in advance!

I have one rabbit (Apollo). My mum pays for vet bills and I pay for most of his food and other things. So I want to get a second rabbit and my parents have both, individually, decided that they don’t like the idea for separate reasons. My dad doesn’t want me to have two rabbits in my room, and my mum doesn’t want to pay a lot of vet bills, which is totally understandable (I live with my mum so it’s mainly her option that counts). So I’ve been saving some money, and I’m just wondering how much a second rabbit will cost. I wanted to get one from a breeder but the more I thought about it, the more I felt bad and decided I no longer wanted to get one, so I’ll get one from a shelter. Also what will a second rabbit need? Another litter box, more bowls?
So my questions:

1. How much money will a second rabbit cost (per month)?

2. What will a second rabbit need?

3. How much will i need to save before getting a second bunny (I only have £50 so far)

This is mainly thinking for the future so that I have a plan (and money 😂). Thank you in advance!
I don't know how much a rabbit will cost, depends on a lot of things. But yes, you will probably need a separate cage, water , bottle, feed dish etc. Is there any way the rabbit could live outside? Also, I don't know how much the vet bills are and I don't know what the vet does, so I can't even estimate the cost. Also could you start breeding and sell the kits to pay back for feed and everything? Best of luck persuading your parents🙂

You will need everything for two bunnies. I would say to save up to at least 300$. So you can pay everything around and have a buffet.

I would say food and hay will not be that much difference if it’s a dwarf bunny. But if you get a giant you will notice the change in money 🤣

What would cost a lot is the extra vet costs, which can turn up. Like myself running to the vet every year with different bunny and doing a health check up plus vaccination. That’s the most cost difference I have noticed with my bunnies.

Then you need to buy toys, everything for a cage set up, litter box, travel cage and so on for the new bunny. So it will cost a bit to get everything. You will not be sure if your bunnies will be bonded, so it’s good to have two things of everything.

I don't know how much a rabbit will cost, depends on a lot of things. But yes, you will probably need a separate cage, water , bottle, feed dish etc. Is there any way the rabbit could live outside? Also, I don't know how much the vet bills are and I don't know what the vet does, so I can't even estimate the cost. Also could you start breeding and sell the kits to pay back for feed and everything? Best of luck persuading your parents🙂
Thank you for the response. I wouldn’t want my rabbits to be outside, I’m also using my outdoor hutch to foster bunnies. I don’t think that I could breed bunnies, my rabbit is neutered. My mum doesn’t mind me getting a second bunny as long as I pay for it. Thank you 😊

Last edited:
You will need everything for two bunnies. I would say to save up to at least 300$. So you can pay everything around and have a buffet.

I would say food and hay will not be that much difference if it’s a dwarf bunny. But if you get a giant you will notice the change in money 🤣

What would cost a lot is the extra vet costs, which can turn up. Like myself running to the vet every year with different bunny and doing a health check up plus vaccination. That’s the most cost difference I have noticed with my bunnies.

Then you need to buy toys, everything for a cage set up, litter box, travel cage and so on for the new bunny. So it will cost a bit to get everything. You will not be sure if your bunnies will be bonded, so it’s good to have two things of everything.
Thank you for the response. £300 doesn’t sound like too much, I could definitely save that much in the next six months. I think I’d want a mini lop or that sort of breed, (medium breed i think).
Yeah, vet bills can get quite expensive. My mum said she’ll will help pay vet bills as long as I pay for everything else, which is okay. I’ve found a rescue that will take the bunnies for a week or so and bond them for me, I think the total is about £6 a day. Thank you, I’ll calculate the cost of all the things I have for Apollo and see how much it’ll cost. £300 sounds like a good amount. I’ll have £100 by next month 💖

Thank you both😃

Thank you for the response. £300 doesn’t sound like too much, I could definitely save that much in the next six months. I think I’d want a mini lop or that sort of breed, (medium breed i think).
Yeah, vet bills can get quite expensive. My mum said she’ll will help pay vet bills as long as I pay for everything else, which is okay. I’ve found a rescue that will take the bunnies for a week or so and bond them for me, I think the total is about £6 a day. Thank you, I’ll calculate the cost of all the things I have for Apollo and see how much it’ll cost. £300 sounds like a good amount. I’ll have £100 by next month 💖

Thank you both😃

I wish there where rescues that could bond my bunnies with a partner, hope everything go well and apollo find a friend later on ☺️

Thank you both😃
Please go to a rabbit shelter/sanctuary, most of them have many many adorable bunnies of all ages that are begging for a good home. After visiting a rabbit sanctuary I regret getting my bunny from a breeder. There are so many to chose from, especially the ones in Dallas,Tx and Denver, which are the only ones I have visited!

Please go to a rabbit shelter/sanctuary, most of them have many many adorable bunnies of all ages that are begging for a good home. After visiting a rabbit sanctuary I regret getting my bunny from a breeder. There are so many to chose from, especially the ones in Dallas,Tx and Denver, which are the only ones I have visited!
Thank you. I know, I wouldn’t want to get a rabbit from a breeder, as cute as they are 🙂. I mentioned that I would get the next bunny from a rescue also (where I got Apollo from too)☺. I also realised that it’d be silly of me to get a rabbit that wasn’t vaccinated or neutered if I don’t have a ton of money anyway

Do you have a back up plan if the rabbits don't bond? Would you return the new rabbit to the rescue or would you plan to set up another space in your home for it? Bonding isn't always successful so it's good to keep that in mind before you get a second bunny.

Do you have a back up plan if the rabbits don't bond? Would you return the new rabbit to the rescue or would you plan to set up another space in your home for it? Bonding isn't always successful so it's good to keep that in mind before you get a second bunny.
Thank you for the response. ☺️
I do have a plan if the rabbits don’t bond. The rescue I’m looking at would also allow me to choose a different rabbit that they could try to bond instead. I do have a second room the he/she can stay in, if none of the bonding works, or I really don’t want to return the bunny back to the rescue. Is there anything else that I might need to know about bonding? I’m not going to be doing the bonding myself but is there something that I need to know or be weary of, or anything like that. I just want to be prepared. Thank you 😊

If the rabbits' bonding is done for you and they succeed, then you wouldn't even need another cage setup for your second bun. If you have a big litterbox, it can be shared, hay and other food too. They may or may not accept sharing a water and/or pellet dish too. If they do, then you wouldn't need anything more than extra toys and hiding spaces (individual and combo)
But if they'll be pickier, then yes, extra boxes and bowls are nescessary.
Good luck!

If the rabbits' bonding is done for you and they succeed, then you wouldn't even need another cage setup for your second bun. If you have a big litterbox, it can be shared, hay and other food too. They may or may not accept sharing a water and/or pellet dish too. If they do, then you wouldn't need anything more than extra toys and hiding spaces (individual and combo)
But if they'll be pickier, then yes, extra boxes and bowls are nescessary.
Good luck!
Thank you!

I was actually going through the same thing of wanting a second bunny after my big lop so he wouldn't feel so lonely but i wasn't so lucky and my parents strictly denied another bun in our care. Just because i'd specified that i wanted A rabbit not two rabbitS. So lucky for you!

I was actually going through the same thing of wanting a second bunny after my big lop so he wouldn't feel so lonely but i wasn't so lucky and my parents strictly denied another bun in our care. Just because i'd specified that i wanted A rabbit not two rabbitS. So lucky for you!
Aw, maybe you could convince them?

I tried, i tried. Getting a bun in the first place took me three years of convincing and persuading. Getting my parents to agree that neuter is a great thing took another six months. Every time there was something awry with him i had to nag for at least three days until we got appointment to a vet.
Now, getting another bun will probably take another two or three years. Mum didn't let me study further away(even before we got my lop) but now it's kinda nice as i get to stay with him much more. As she didn't let me leave, i plan on finishing school, getting a drivers liscence and a car & going to study another job further away. Then i plan to rent an apartment instead of a dormroom(if they don't allow quiet clean pets) and then finally get him a companion.
Luckily for me, he doesn't seem to mind being alone so much. He'd hide underneath his cage all day rather than coming up to us and bumping for attention. So i'm not TOO worried if he doesn't get a gal-pal right away. Some things just take time.

Latest posts

Back