How much verbal understanding do rabbits have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all of mine know their names very well. They respond when I call them.

I'm not sure they know what NO means, I think they do but ignore me. lol

Susan:)

I think it depends the rabbit. I also think they choose to ignore most of what comes out our mouth. I see them as babies they get we are speaking but don't understand all the words.

Benjamin has the personality very much like a cat. If he feels like responding he will, he is the boss and you had better know it. Most of the time he will respond to his name or sometimes I wonder if it is the tone of my voice. He knows no, but tends to look at me and ignore me if it suits him. A more empathic NO will get him scampering. So again, is it the words or the tone.

Yes, rabbits can and do learn their names and come when called (if they feel like it).

Natasha Rabbitova has a large vocabulary of words she understands and responds to. If I say, "breakfast" in the morning or "dinner" or "bedtime" at night, she runs into her cage and stands up to look out the top so she can see the snack approaching. She knows "go in", and runs into her cage when I tell her that. She also understands lots of food words - "treat", "snack", "craisin", "carrot", "banana". If I say, "up up", she stands on her hind legs.

7648_282009_400000000.jpg

She also understands "NO", but that doesn't mean she always feels it applies to the particular situation she's in.

Yes, rabbits understand everything we say to them - well, the ones I had did.
MILU actually even developed the ability to say "no" with his head. Many people said that was not possible and gave other explanations for that, but time proved he was really saying "no"! He was brilliant! He even learned how to change channels on the tv without the remote.

I think the matter actually is: how much do rabbits WANT to understand? hehe
My rabbits understood all I said, but sometimes they did naughty things and pretended it wasn't them.. LOL
If you spend enough time and give them enough attention, they'll show you all they know. If they don't trust people though they won't show what they know.

We also think they understand quite a bit, but also, choose to ignore some of it. They all know their names and come "sometimes" when called. Definitely know "treats". Half of them go into the "box" when I say it and it's time for them to go up. Since everything is subject to "interpretation" they do respond in different ways. Nikki makes two laps around the room before she goes in the box, while Lilli makes a beeline to it so she gets the treat she knows is coming. They all have me so well trained!

All of my buns know the basics- their names, treats, "go home", no (although this gets frequently ignored), breakfast, dinner.

Houdini knows "naughty boy" and it makes him binky every time.

Becky knows the most words- I will talk to her and if she disagrees she will shake her head no. At first I thought it a coincidence, but I swear it is accurate. When we go to the pet store and I ask her which one she likes as I hold two kinds of hay or treats in the cart, she sniffs each one carefully and then will nose bonk what she wants. I really think she knows she is making a choice. Indy just drools on them both :)

Hmm Bunny doesn't seem to have a clue what I'm saying. If I go, "Food, Bunny?" she'll just look at me blankly. But once I actually get out the bag of food she'll get all excited and run around.

I think it really depends on how much effort you put into it. Like any animal, words have no meaning unless they are associated with something. For a dog, you can say Sit all you like, but until you teach him what sit means, he will not know what it means. This goes for rabbits as well. You can say Banana over and over, but unless you give a piece of banana at the same time, you are just speaking gibberish to your rabbit.

If you talk to them a lot and make it mean something, they will start to understand what you are saying to a point. Don't expect them to understand everything you say, but they can learn some words. Of course, we will probably never know how much they understand, they don't seem to want to talk back. Probably good to not let the slaves know too much about what you are thinking. :)

have anyone studied lagamorph psychology 101..or the Vulcan mind melm.-thay will out smart a human all the time-as we are predators and they know it..!!sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail rip

I found that my bunnies recognize the tone of your voice and eventually hear certain sounds and will understand which sound Is their name.
They are incredibly smart. My bunnies always knew what time they get their pellets, veggies and treats. God forbid you are late for any of those they will let you know.
My new bunny Destiny has started learning her name and does come most of the time.

In no time at all my buns learned their names and will come when called. Of course, I do not call them unless I have either a treat or grub waiting for them. My ladies understand "kiss" because I hold a raisin in my lips for them. It works every time.

In my experience, they understand as much as they want to. Obviously not as much as we do but probably more than you realise, especially if things are repeated and there is incentive to understand and remember, based on a reward system. You can find a lot on Clicker Training for rabbits on YouTube and you'll see that they can understand a great deal with often-repeated training. Individuals vary of course.

Very interesting... I know my rabbits know when I'm coming to their cage and they do recognize noises in the house and respond differently when members of my household or friends of ours show up they will hide when my grandpa visits they can smell his cologne and know he wants their attention:D When my kids come home from school they will run around with excitement trying to get the kids (12 & 11 ) to play with them.:p

I don't know the science behind it but I do know, mine for sure knows when I say NO. She knows "come" and her name.... now IF she answers to you asking her to come... all depends on her mood- she is a sassy little thing!

My Sadie understand 'no', and 'come here'. Eartha doesn't understand anything yet, except maybe 'hey, stop it!'.

Maybe more sound than word. I know I keep Surs treats (granola bites), in a mason jar, she gets one every morning. She’ll usually eat half of her breakfast, get antsy for a treat, then after she’ll finish her breakfast and nap time! The MOMENT I touch that mason jar and she hears the treats or me unscrewing the lid, she is at my feet in seconds!!! It’s amazing! So may it’s noises more so. She also knows the crinkle of bags. But she knows what bag is what- she knows the sound of treat bag, pellet bag, hay bag, carrot bag...... I swear it’s amazing!

Poppy recognises no, because she finds being told off very funny and binkies away *eye roll*

Latest posts

Back