How much to feed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Button

Reaction score
So, Emmi is a French lop mini lop mix. So how much pellets and veggies can she have? Right now she gets a couple chopped up pieces of kale and Romain which equals about a cup and a half. How much pellets for a potential 10 pound rabbit?

I saw that 3 cup recommendation in the other thread for a 10lb rabbit. I've only been a bunny owner for a few weeks and I still have a lot to learn; shoot, most people here have forgotten more than I know. But that is much, much more pellets (3 cups for 10lbs) than I've read anywhere (countless websites) or been told by the experts. My currently 3lb Mini Satin gets 1/3 cup of pellets and 1 1/2 cups of leafy greens (found this to be just right) and does very well with it. She's gaining weight (she needed to) on that and unlimited hay.
I feel like 3 cups is a bit much… so I think maybe half of that. Day because she get some extra veggies every now and then.

The general rule is 1/4 cup of pellets per day per 5lbs of body weight. Even if the rabbit is bigger however you dont need to feed the max amount. Its more important they fill up on hay. So even some 10lb bunnys need less then 1/2 a cup because we want them eating more hay.
I removed a post above because that is scary dangerous advice.

As for veggies you know your bunny and how nuch they can handle. Again making sure they fill up on hay. A few cups a day is fine. 1 cup a day is fine. What will they eat before it spoils.

Please try and offer a wider range of leafy greens and herbs, not just kale and romaine. Too much kale can cause bladder/kidney issues.

I giver her cilantro and curled parsley as well. I read where 1/2 per 5 pounds is ideal but with her veggies I think I will giver her 1/4 cup in the morning with her veggies and then 1/2 cup at night as that seems when she eats the most. Also her dewlap is skin (this was mentioned in a previous thread of mine) so that’s a good sign. I can always try it and cut back if I need.
The general rule is 1/4 cup of pellets per day per 5lbs of body weight. Even if the rabbit is bigger however you dont need to feed the max amount. Its more important they fill up on hay. So even some 10lb bunnys need less then 1/2 a cup because we want them eating more hay.

As for veggies you know your bunny and how nuch they can handle. Again making sure they fill up on hay. A few cups a day is fine. 1 cup a day is fine. What will they eat before it spoils.

Please try and offer a wider range of leafy greens and herbs, not just kale and romaine. Too much kale can cause bladder/kidney issues.

If she's a 'potential' 10lb rabbit, how old is she now and how heavy is she now? If she's over 10-12 months it's likely she won't grown much more.

Pellets aren't really needed, they're more like a supplement so it's okay if you only give her 1/4 cup since pellets- I wouldn't feed too much even of a high quality pellet like sherwood since it gets expensive and I don't really see a point in feeding a lot when it's just a supplement.

If she eats hay well then I generally would say 1-1.5 cups of veggies per 2lb of body weight.

If she's a 'potential' 10lb rabbit, how old is she now and how heavy is she now? If she's over 10-12 months it's likely she won't grown much more.

Pellets aren't really needed, they're more like a supplement so it's okay if you only give her 1/4 cup since pellets- I wouldn't feed too much even of a high quality pellet like sherwood since it gets expensive and I don't really see a point in feeding a lot when it's just a supplement.

If she eats hay well then I generally would say 1-1.5 cups of veggies per 2lb of body weight.
She is 7 months old. So still time to grow. She is around 7 or 8 pounds.

I giver her cilantro and curled parsley as well. I read where 1/2 per 5 pounds is ideal but with her veggies I think I will giver her 1/4 cup in the morning with her veggies and then 1/2 cup at night as that seems when she eats the most. Also her dewlap is skin (this was mentioned in a previous thread of mine) so that’s a good sign. I can always try it and cut back if I need.

Again please stay away from giving too many greens that can cause bladder/kidney issues. Add variety away from those types of greens.

Rabbits do not NEED pellets. Especially if you are giving a wide variety of veggies. I would not be giving her any more then 1/4 to 1/2 cup a day. Just because she eats them all doesnt mean she needs them all.
She needs to eat lots and lots of hay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back