How much spinach is too much spinach?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
Hey guys so I woke up today and was gonna go bring me louie in and then I see that there’s spinach in louies cage.. I’m not sure how much it was but it was probably a handful. Don’t know how long it’s been going on but I’m kind of worried. All I know is that I’m upset that my dad gave him food without my permission. I hate when this happens. Gives him food and instead of giving him something good he gives him spinach. Worst thing ever. Last thing these people wanna do is listen.

Spinach is considered a rabbit-safe veggie so a handful is not going to be harmful -- my read is that it's only concerning when it is composes most of a rabbit's veggie diet regularly, due to its oxalic acid content. In small quantities, oxalic acid is harmless.

I would not be concerned about this one instance.

A handful of spinach will be fine for him. My bun actually really loves the stuff! As John Wick said, it's high in oxalates so should be fed in limited qualities, only a handful or so a few times a week (if you choose to feed it). I'm sure Louie will be fine!
It's nice that your dad tried to feed him - maybe you can give a replacement food that he can feed? I prep Apollos veggies (when he gets them) in mini containers with his daily amount, so my family can just toss the contents into my room. It's great with my little siblings who want to feed Apollo constantly lol

A handful of spinach will be fine for him. My bun actually really loves the stuff! As John Wick said, it's high in oxalates so should be fed in limited qualities, only a handful or so a few times a week (if you choose to feed it). I'm sure Louie will be fine!
It's nice that your dad tried to feed him - maybe you can give a replacement food that
Spinach is considered a rabbit-safe veggie so a handful is not going to be harmful -- my read is that it's only concerning when it is composes most of a rabbit's veggie diet regularly, due to its oxalic acid content. In small quantities, oxalic acid is harmless.

I would not be concerned about this one instance.

he can feed? I prep Apollos veggies (when he gets them) in mini containers with his daily amount, so my family can just toss the contents into my room. It's great with my little siblings who want to feed Apollo constantly lol
I don’t usually give him any spinach just because I’ve noticed that it does have bad effects on them if given to many. I don’t wanna risk it because if my family sees I feed him that stuff they just wanna feed it to him everyday. Plus they usually like to feed him a lot of sweets n stuff even tho I say no. That’s the only reason I get upset when stuff is given to him without letting me know because I like to be in charge of him. It’s something to do. I’ve also noticed louie doesn’t necessarily like anyone else so I like to keep it me and him. If maybe they were to ask me then maybe I’d consider it but I like to keep things scheduled. I hope that makes sense.

I would only be concerned if I had a rabbit prone to bladder sludge, or I knew that too much resulted in digestive upset for my rabbit. Otherwise, as long as it's not on a regular basis it shouldn't cause a problem, and as long as a rabbit is already used to eating spinach.

Latest posts

Back