How much should I feed Biscuit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brie Prsnk

Reaction score
Biscuit weighs almost 4 pounds. How much food should I feed him? Right now I feed him 1 cup 2-3 times a day and sometimes a little snack. Is that too much or too little? Please let me know!

What, exactly, do you feed?

Fresh hay should always be available, and how much of other stuff depends what that stuff is, and on the age of your bunny.

He eats spring mix usually. I feed him unlimited orchard grass hay. He is 1 years old

That is a bit too much for a bunny that size! For example, I have a 3 pound and a 4 pound rabbit and they each get 1/4 cup of Payback pellets per day, with unlimited Timothy Hay and fresh treats every other day. It really just depends on the type of activity they've been doing that day, if they free roam or have had extra activity that day then I'll give them a bit more pellets to compensate. There are many different sources online to help you - I learned from a local breeder (and asked my vet) that 1/4 cup is sufficient enough for a rabbit that size. I'd say it depends per bunny and amount of activity, but probably start narrowing it down over time. Don't worry about them starving, as unlimited hay should be approximately 80% of their diet! Also, the occasional treat does not hurt. Biscuit should be getting approximately 1/4 to 1/2 of pellets per day. The only reasons they should be getting more than that amount is if instructed by your vet, and of course after pregnancy (when nursing newborn kits). Again, my opinion and as instructed by my vet /l breeder. Thank you, and I hope this helps you and Biscuit!

What type of pellets (brand)?

That sounds like way too much pellets.

With unlimited hay and around 2 cups of greens, bunny should get no more than 1/4 cup of pellets per day. Depending on other factors, it could be a bit more, but still less than 1/2 cup.

He doesn't eat pellets as of right now. We talked to our vet and he said that he will be fine without them. Sometimes I give him the oxbow garden select ones for training new tricks but other than that he doesn't really eat them.

He doesn't eat pellets as of right now. We talked to our vet and he said that he will be fine without them. Sometimes I give him the oxbow garden select ones for training new tricks but other than that he doesn't really eat them.
Okay, I have to admit I'm a bit confused. What is it that you are asking the question about feeding him? Pellets are important for fiber. The other components of their diet include hay and the occasional treat. There is nothing else that is necessary food wise...

Okay, I have to admit I'm a bit confused. What is it that you are asking the question about feeding him? Pellets are important for fiber. The other components of their diet include hay and the occasional treat. There is nothing else that is necessary food wise...
Veggies! They make up 5-10% of the rabbit's diet. I didn't mention it in the original thread but I was talking about how much veggies I should feed him.

Veggies! They make up 5-10% of the rabbit's diet. I didn't mention it in the original thread but I was talking about how much veggies I should feed him.
Omg, sorry I completely misunderstood... My bad! That does sound like a bit too much veggies though, depends on the age of your rabbit. My four-year-old rabbit gets 1/4 a cup every other day due to her being prone to GI status and other health / stomach issues. That was advice from my vet - but like I said earlier every bunny is different... Similar to humans! Definitely on the higher side of what rabbits should get. How long has he been fed this amount? The majority of his life, or recently? Does he get much time outside to eat grass/other natural greens? Is his poop fine? Just make sure he is not getting diarrhea. If you are going to lower his portions though, make sure to do it over time gradually to not shock his system (rabbits have very delicate stomachs). Part of the reason most people do not give their rabbits lots of fresh fruits / vegetables is because of the expense $$ overtime. Of course that is up to you, but something to think about. Goodluck!

He's been fed that amount all his life. He doesn't have access to any natural greens here because everybody poisons their yards. You can find more information on rabbit's diets here. Biscuit would be considered a mature adult since he is nearing 2 years old. Here is another site. Most of my sources have said 2 cups per 6 pounds of body weight and biscuit weighs just about half of that. I might just reduce to feeding him half a cup in the morning and half a cup at night. That way he gets a good amount. I will gradually decrease the amount over this week until we get to just that amount. Thanks for the help!

If you are feeding pellet-free, than a good amount of greens is not only recommended, but necessary.

I also misunderstood your original post as it did not mention greens. I thought you were referring to the amount of pellets.

You quoted House Rabbit Society too. There is another article on their site that goes over amount of greens for those reducing pellets. It is here. It recommends feeding 2-4 cups of greens daily (which it sounds like you are already doing) -- but that is for rabbits that are also getting limited pellets.

If you are not feeding pellets (other than very occasionally as a treat) then it would be hard to overfeed the greens. Hay and greens aren't going to make a bunny overweight. It is the pellets (or treats) that do that.

So, to answer your real question, if your guy is a good hay eater (about his body size in hay every day) then the amount of greens you are feeding sounds just fine.

Latest posts

Back