How much power does a rabbit have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
A weird question, but i was just wondering and since i couldn't find an answer online, i thought maybe fellow rabbit owners would know.
Storm will sometimes stomp at random, he will agressively flick his feet out, give a big ol' bite if he's dead furious. Dad has sensitive-finger after the lop decided to direct his anger after being combed.
So i was curious if anyone knew, statistically, how much kicking/biting force a rabbit has. (A bigger/more temperamental rabbit sure does have more power, but any bit of intel would be enough)

I didn't know that a random fact question would be listed under nutrition and behaviour, as i really don't think that it has anything to do with a rabbit eating or acting, but oh well, doesn't have such a big difference.

I've been wondering the same thing. My rabbit hides behind a very heavy iron fireplace cover. The cover's so heavy that I have trouble moving it myself but I wonder if her bunny super powers would allow her to knock it over.

Hm, mine (ca. 4kg) sometimes bite when they want to get away, like, when I'm brushing them. Not very hard, just to get the point across. They can bite harder, had to force feed a doe some time ago and she was really desperate, and not used to being handled - I took great care to keep skin away from her teeth, but got bruises despite the winter jacket. But that is rare, as she wan't just annoyed or furious but really desperate. Left quite some holes in that jacket. But thinking about it, I don't think they ever broke my skin.
The back feet, well, the first years with rabbits I had a lot of bloody scratches on arms and belly from handling and carrying them. Obviously I somehow learned to do it right, I don't get mangled that much anymore.

I write this right after using superglue to hold that cut together my buck managed to inflict by hooking one hind claw into my lip......
Totally my own fault, though.

Not a silly question at.They can be extremely strong when they want to be,particularly when it comes to kicking and jumping,which is why so many people drop them by accident because they haven't taken their strength seriously enough,and relaxed their grip on the rabbit,with sometimes serious results for the rabbit.the problem is that when running or jumping,the powerful hind leg and back muscles aren't confined,as they are when held by a person,and it has been known that if they brace themselves and kick out ,they can pull muscles or even damage their bones,which are surprisingly light and delicate.Just be aware of these things.

Well, yeah. He was absolutely dead furious when biting dad's finger, if he hadn't hit dad's nail portion, that fingertip might've been removed completely. It appears that when my boy raises temper, he has no care in the world whatsoever. That time, dad was trying to give him a treat after that nail clipping session, but us poor people didn't think the lop would be so greedy as to bite into the whole figer, and he wouldn't let go for a while!
Storm is without a doubt the most agressive-defensive rabbit we've ever met.

He also despised having full walls and open roof, would give me so many surprises at night, scrambling over a 1m wall, then he would glare at me atop the bed with his beady eyes glimmering in the dark.

After the move and broken bond, Lümi can no longer stand being in the condo at night, ( Without Storm inside there, of course) i am extremely curious as to why, the condo used to be his space before the bond and shared during it.
So he will most desperately try to push his way out. If he cannot jump 75cm and then spiderman-climb the rest of 35cm, or if he gets caught midway through and placed back, he will act reckless and go attempt to jump over the 90 cm door the other side round. He's kinda made it out to the open with a huge ruckus two times, lucky he didn't rip his belly open with that.
What a pair of athlethic escapees!

And thus i began to wonder how powerful bunnies really are.

It depends how serious they are about inflicting damage. A rabbit truly scared or ready to fight, can take a chunk out of or tear flesh right open with a real bite or strong kick. It's not unusual for it to happen when two rabbits get in a true all out fight. We're not talking about an irritated nip or a rabbit fussing and kicking out when picked up, though this can certainly still cause some injuries to us. I'm talking about fighting or attacking with intent to do damage.

One of my rabbits when I first got her, was pregnant, moody, and extremely territorial, and she latched onto my finger and ripped a chunk up that scarred. But after she had her babies and had settled in, she became(and still is) the sweetest doe, and never did anything like that again. So sometimes even though a rabbit can normally be a sweet or calm rabbit, in specific circumstances these things can sometimes happen. When they feel particularly threatened, they can certainly do damage. Even more so with rabbits that aren't confined and have built up some good muscle tone.

I didn't know that a random fact question would be listed under nutrition and behaviour, as i really don't think that it has anything to do with a rabbit eating or acting, but oh well, doesn't have such a big difference.

Nutrition and Behavior is the correct subforum because this is about how a rabbit behaves and reacts. A rabbits power and inflicting damage is all connected to it's behavior. Though I don't know about everyone else, but I generally just look at threads through new posts anyways, and don't usually go to individual subforums, so doesn't matter too much what subforum it's under unless someone comes on here looking in a subforum for specific answers.

This bunny sounds so menacing 😂
Oh, he's quite rambunctious, hates handling, and being a full-grown half-freeroam rabbit gives him plenty of muscle to pack a punch or a bite into.
Still, i love that he is like that, more of a stereotypical rabbit in terms of behaviour. Usually he isn't that violent though, you're more likely to find him flopping somewhere or digging at my bed. He will sometimes gladly sleep in my arms for a few minutes, and when his mood calls for it, can be a real cuddle bugger. He's the type of bun that lowers his head before we can even start petting him.
He's the bunny boss and he knows it.

Latest posts

Back