How much is your bunny worth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBuns Human

Reaction score
How do you place a value on a pet? What is replacement value on an individual companion?

But if you had to, say for a police report for a stolen bunny. $25, misdemeaner theft or perhaps $2500, feloney theft?

I have a friend that spent $2000 for the vet bills on an injured cat found on the side of the road and another that spent $1200 for hip surgery on a chinchilla.I have read of people spending thousands more on dogs and cats, so obviously they placed a high dollar amount on their animals.

When you have towrite downa dollar value on the priceless, what would you say?

I couldn't imagine placing a monitary value on my rabbits or other pets, but if someone stole one I would consider it a felony, so I guess it would be high.

I have spent well over 2k trying to get/keep Becky healthy because she is still fighting and has quality of life. I spent $800 on Cinderella before having her PTS, but there was nothing else we could do and she was suffering.

In the past I have put vet bills on credit cards and had to pay them off slowly because I didn't have cash on hand. Now I put money into savings every month to be prepared, as unfortunately emergencies tend to happen since I have so many pets, particularly ones that had a rough start to life.

With my bunnies, I've been lucky. They cost $15 each, and I haven't had any major vet bills.

My dog on the other hand cost $1200, plus $600 in airfare to get her, and a couple thousand in vet bills for her.

Hmm.. would I really be forced to give a price for a police report?

Would they ask me how much value my child is to me?

A pet is a living breathing thing. One that you grow feelings for and form a bond with. You just cant put a price tag on that and i'm sure i'll say just that to the police officer.

Good answer, I love that. Derby has not cost us too much yet, other than the neutering and transportation costs to get him. But he is still priceless. When he chews on my leather couch and the rugs, well maybe a little less priceless for awhile. lol One bunny binkie and ear toss the and the price goes up again.

It's rather funny that my husband and I recently had a conversation about locking the house during the day while we are gone. Historically we have not because we have such nosey neighbors and nothing of real value to steal. However, one neighbor has a brother that has been living with her who is schizophrenic and tends not to take his medication. With it he is very nice, but without it he can be unpredictable. We have decided to start locking the doors because we are afraid he might open the door and let the animals out. They are by far the most precious contents of the house, not the things.

For Solara, probably a 1200$? Adding up the cost of all her materials, cage/pen, food, her herself, and how much I love her.

For Silas, probably a little over 1700$. We've had him a shorter amount of time but he's bigger so he eats more and he has been to the vet more times than Solara. Plus his cost to get him and my love for him. And the gas it took to take him places.

For Sabriel.. probably around 3000$ or more. He broke his leg and we spent over 1200$ on him, plus any other vet bills and medicine, plus all the places we drive him, my unconditional love for him, and how much he eats (he eats more than Silas probably lol).

But overall they're all priceless to me. I love my babies.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
Hmm.. would I really be forced to give a price for a police report?
For a THEFT report it is mandatory to value the OBJECT stolen.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
Would they ask me how much value my child is to me?

Taking a person is KIDNAPPING, taking a rabbitis THEFT. Kidnapping is a FELONY, theft is a misdemeanor or felony based on the value of the object stolen.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
A pet is a living breathing thing. One that you grow feelings for and form a bond with. You just cant put a price tag on that and i'm sure i'll say just that to the police officer.
And the response will be that for a theft report you have to have a value. If your pet is valued at the $15 that a new rabbit costs at the pet store, you just wasted your time filing a report as they will not spend any time investigating the theft of a $15 OBJECT.

Just as most areas now have laws giving legal protections to police dogs and service animals, it may well be time to have legislation passed to give stolen pets a legal valuation outside of replacement costs and out of pocket expenses. A stolen or killed pet has the potentional to cause severe, if not lifelong, psychological effects.

gmas rabbit wrote:
But he is still priceless. When he chews on my leather couch and the rugs, well maybe a little less priceless for awhile. lol One bunny binkie and ear toss the and the price goes up again.
I realised that no matter how much I disliked Booger peeing in my face, compared to Booger being gone and most likely dead, there's really nothing wrong with a bunny pee facial first thing in the morning. It's probably good for skin tone and exfoliation and it really can't be any worse than placenta that is in some hair care products. Perhaps I should start a line of Booger's Best brand ofBunnyJuice skin care products.

MiniLopHop wrote:
I couldn't imagine placing a monitary value on my rabbits or other pets, but if someone stole one I would consider it a felony, so I guess it would be high.
THAT'S what I'm talking about.

I'd still throw a fit about it. Animals aren't objects, could give a crap what the law says in this case. Luckily, I have never had this issue *knock on wood *

Brandy,
You dont lock your door???? That's a little ha-ha right? Everyone I know locks their door even when they are home! I think I would pass out if I forgot to lock my door and went somewhere ..and I live in a good area..

We lock our doors now :p

I think because both of us grew up in rural areas we just weren't used to doing it. Now that I think about it, when we were in graduate school we locked the doors there, so I don't know what we were thinking.

I know legally animals are considered property, but progress is being made. At least people are working out custody arrangements when splitting so I would think that is the first step to get reasonable rights for pets. States are also making it a felony to fight animals so that is progress as well. Unfortunately it will probably take a while to get them real protections under the law. Just think, back in the day women and children were also viewed as property rather than their own beings.

not adding materials, just surgeries and vet visits alone have been 600 the last month with a rabbit i was given. supplies...lol a lot

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
I'd still throw a fit about it. Animals aren't objects, could give a crap what the law says in this case.
A fit? What will that get you? It won't get the thief arrested that's for sure.The law is what determines what happens to someone who messes with your bunnies. But if you'd rather throw a fit than see a criminal arrested, that's your choice I guess. Of course, if you throw your fit at the police station they might well decide that you need a vacation at the Grey Bar Hotel.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
Oh and you know BunBuns human you didn't have to go all bold and underlined on me! :p
Oh and you know that you like it, don't try to be coy.:bunnydance:

I actually went through this with a boss of mine. They are someone who does not understand why anyone would ever want a pet, so I went at it from a business angle, especially since my rabbits are performers and they are an "investment". All of my rabbits would have a different "value".

Star - Speaking from a purely objectional point of view, Star would not be worth a whole lot. I paid a couple hundred bucks for his neuter, $25 for him and all the money in feed, hay, cage, toys, litter, bedding, etc. since having him. He isn't one of the better performers (He prefers to bite jumps rather then actually jump them) so he's probably a $450 investment.

Willow - My old man, 7 years old and one I got for free. He is the first rabbit that started the hopping club so he's got some history there, not to mention the number of vet bills he has had for stasis problems and now that he's older, check ups on teeth and overall health. He's around a $700 investment.

Peace - We had to transport him from Illonois, pay for him himself ($75), the hock abscess and the neuter at the same time($700 roughly, his neuter was also more expensive since he had an undescended testicle) and of course, all other expenses.A $1000+ investment.

Jabberwocky - Came from the same place as Peace but he was a "free" bun since he's not pure Belgian Hare but crossed with a Tan. He hasn't had anything major yet *Knock on wood* but he was neutered and is one of our star performers. $600.

Babbitty - THE go to bunny for the hopping club, he is always the star and always the one who is pointed out. We have dealt with ear infection and he goes in every 3 weeks for back tooth trims at $70 a pop. Not to mention that back in the early days, since he was a breeder cull for having too much energy, I decideed to show him, just to see. Turns out he has awesome conformation and has his Champion status from ARBA as well. Heafter he got that from attending a few shows, he's 100% pet bun now, but it does up his value a bit, apparently. $1200+

Ty - Free bunny, kidney problemsthat have cost $500+ and all the other usual rabbit care stuff. He doestie for the high jump Canadian record, however. $800

Buttercup - Teeth problems and a lot of work to get her healthy again as when we got her she was on a diet of Beneful dog food. $600

Popcorn - $15 for him as well as his neuter but other then that, thus far we have been really lucky and he has had literally no health problems, *knock on wood*. He is also a good little performer. $400

Wallaby - He was neutered and has had some bouts of gas but other then that, he's been fine. He was another cull rabbit but a good performer. $400

Spyro - Horrible back teeth that are starting (Nothing had been done yet as they aren't causing a problem yet, the vet predicts problems within a year) and he was another "free" bun, but he is an up and rising star. We have not had him for too long so he's a lower number then everyone else. $200.

Kia - Just had her spayed via laser so her surgery was a bit higher, but have only had her for a few months. $400.

Tiana - Another spay but again, she does not eat much as she is small and only been here a few months. $350.

Kokomo - Another "free" bun that, thankfully, came spayed as she traced back to the Humane Society. $500

Flynn - Lets watch these numbers soar shall we? $1700 for the FHO surgery on her hip, $300+ for her spay and then all her other expenses as well. I would say she's at about $2500 right now, and just a year old.

That being said, I adore all my rabbits and no amount of money anyone offered could ever get them from me.

BunBuns Human wrote:
MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
I'd still throw a fit about it. Animals aren't objects, could give a crap what the law says in this case.
A fit? What will that get you? It won't get the thief arrested that's for sure.The law is what determines what happens to someone who messes with your bunnies. But if you'd rather throw a fit than see a criminal arrested, that's your choice I guess. Of course, if you throw your fit at the police station they might well decide that you need a vacation at the Grey Bar Hotel.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
Oh and you know BunBuns human you didn't have to go all bold and underlined on me! :p
Oh and you know that you like it, don't try to be coy.:bunnydance:

LOL! You make me laugh, thank you :)

The fit is really only for my benefit. It will just make me feel better, but you're right.. it wont get anything resolved!

Did someone steal your bunny?!

BunBuns Human wrote:
MyBabyHasPaws wrote:

LOL this was me and my husband at land of little horses in their old west jail

IMG_7485.jpg

IMG_7490.jpg

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
LOL! You make me laugh, thank you :)
You are welcome.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:

Did someone steal your bunny?!
Both the lads were abducted. They are way too trusting of stangers. When BunBun was living as a wild rabbit, he wouldn't let any of the neighbors near him. They made a number of attempts at catching him, none close to successful. Now that I've socialized and trained him the greedy piglet thinks that any human might be a source of the desired and delightful BANANA. Dumbass. Moving cars, dogs, cats and such, he has the street smarts and training to deal with them in a safe manner, unfortunately he frequently fails to make the distinction between me and others.

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
The fit is really only for my benefit. It will just make me feel better, but you're right.. it wont get anything resolved!
Well, I was most interested in the Lads benefit so I filed a felony theft report instead. That apparentlygot the thief's attention and the Lads were returned. Now I'm looking at amending the complaint to include an animal cruelty charge or two.......or three.

And anyway, to make me feel better I'd have to gut the thief like a fish and then stick his head on a stick and use it as a garden ornament.It wouldbe worth the smell to watch the birds and flys gradually pick it clean. A bleached human skull is worth some coin ya' know, they can be hard to come by now a days.Unfortunately due to a lack of traditional American values in today's society, such things are frowned upon. It is a sad commentary on the current state of society.

That is terrible, I'm glad they were returned.
I know when it comes to an animal being stolen or killed if you want any kind of legal action taken you have to give it a monetary value. To me I think the value depends greatly on the specific animal and the crime.

Holy crap! That is horrible! I'm so happy you got them back..
you mentioned animal cruelty.. are they ok?!?!

Give both boys huge kissies from me!

People suck :\

Latest posts

Back