How much Hay would a dwarf rabbit go through in a month?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smile414

Reaction score
I was wondering (i know rabbits need unlimited) but how much hay do dwarfs go through in a month?

2kg to 10kg, same size rabbits can eat differently, Fred eats one bundle of hay per day and Bernie is about same size but eats 4 bundles per day. Fred drinks 70ml of water and Bernie 300ml. Bernie's poos are twice bigger than Fred's. So Bernie's diet is better and healthier than Fred's but both are happy and healthy. If I give Fred more hay he store it and creates landscapes in his cave. Bernie would eat every little piece of her hay, even soiled sometimes.

Also depends on you, some people just waste lots of hay they put hay on top of litter box so it gets soiled and they just bin it. If you do that you'd probably use 10kg monthly easily, or even more.

You can also cover the whole floor with straw and hay to create soft bedding. That way your rabbit will never have sore hocks.

Depending on what size and how much hay you have no problem wasting, I would say it will be around 5 kg up to 10 kg of hay.

I know that when I only had my netherland dwarf he went through a 5 kg bag of hay within 3 months and that was with a lot of hay waste. But my netherland dwarf is quite small and don’t eat that much.

Now when I have a holland lop they go through one 15 kg bag in two months but that’s also with a lot of hay waste which I throw away to the compost. I have no problem wasting hay because I bulk buy hay and my bunnies love going through the hay and picking out what to eat. My holland lop is 3 times larger than my netherland dwarf if you compare with how much they weight ☺️

Even when you have a hay rack it will be a certain amount of wasted hay but it won’t be as much as when you directly lay it in the litter box. But it also depends on the bunnies.

I think I fill up one garbage bag (125 liter) with hay and litter every week. Most in that bag is just wasted hay.

Depending on what size and how much hay you have no problem wasting, I would say it will be around 5 kg up to 10 kg of hay.

I know that when I only had my netherland dwarf he went through a 5 kg bag of hay within 3 months and that was with a lot of hay waste. But my netherland dwarf is quite small and don’t eat that much.

Now when I have a holland lop they go through one 15 kg bag in two months but that’s also with a lot of hay waste which I throw away to the compost. I have no problem wasting hay because I bulk buy hay and my bunnies love going through the hay and picking out what to eat. My holland lop is 3 times larger than my netherland dwarf if you compare with how much they weight ☺

Even when you have a hay rack it will be a certain amount of wasted hay but it won’t be as much as when you directly lay it in the litter box. But it also depends on the bunnies.

I think I fill up one garbage bag (125 liter) with hay and litter every week. Most in that bag is just wasted hay.

Ok thanks! Is there any way to not* waste hay, since I know rabbits do tend to waste alot, and hay in my area is super expensive o_O

2kg to 10kg, same size rabbits can eat differently, Fred eats one bundle of hay per day and Bernie is about same size but eats 4 bundles per day. Fred drinks 70ml of water and Bernie 300ml. Bernie's poos are twice bigger than Fred's. So Bernie's diet is better and healthier than Fred's but both are happy and healthy. If I give Fred more hay he store it and creates landscapes in his cave. Bernie would eat every little piece of her hay, even soiled sometimes.

Also depends on you, some people just waste lots of hay they put hay on top of litter box so it gets soiled and they just bin it. If you do that you'd probably use 10kg monthly easily, or even more.

Oh ok thanks! Thats a lot of hay for a rabbit that size lol

Ok thanks! Is there any way to not* waste hay, since I know rabbits do tend to waste alot, and hay in my area is super expensive o_O

Using a hay rack you can minimize the hay waste a bit. But it all depends on the bunny, myself had a bunny that took out all the hay and ate only a certain amount then she would wait to get the hay rack filled again. But you will need a hay rack that is easy for the bunny to get the hay but also not getting stuck ☺️

What state are you in?
If you buy hay by the bale, it is incredibly cheap!!! Google "feed stores near (your city, state") to find where to buy some.

What state are you in?
If you buy hay by the bale, it is incredibly cheap!!! Google "feed stores near (your city, state") to find where to buy some.

I live in Massachusetts unfortunetely when I searched that up, the only things which came up was tractor supply.

I don't know your city, but you can check for 'feed stores in Massachusetts' and look at the map (like the one below). Any of those feed stores should also sell hay in bulk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200702-121142.jpg
    Screenshot_20200702-121142.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 2
The Tractor Supply near me had 50lb bales of timothy hay for $15! They also sell the 50lb bales of bermuda hay!

Ok I'll look, so far I only found 40lb of alfalfa and timothy mix for $15, but it's not suitable for small animals, it's meant for horses.

I don't know your city, but you can check for 'feed stores in Massachusetts' and look at the map (like the one below). Any of those feed stores should also sell hay in bulk.

Thanks! I'll try to look for some nearby. :)

I was wondering (i know rabbits need unlimited) but how much hay do dwarfs go through in a month?
I am in CT. I have a 5pd Holland lop. I buy 12pd of 2nd cut Timothy hay from small pet select via Amazon. Lasts about 2 months. $29

Try this search (without the city listed) so you can check on the map. Those feed stores will likely sell hay by the bale and even cheaper than Tractor Supply. (you can also ask Tractor Supply when they expect more hay in.)

I am in CT. I have a 5pd Holland lop. I buy 12pd of 2nd cut Timothy hay from small pet select via Amazon. Lasts about 2 months. $29
That is crazy expensive!! I buy a full size bale. It will last 2 rabbits (5-7 lbs each) for at least 8 months and cost $17. I am overly generous with hay and put it in the litter box. By this calculation, a half bale (like that 50 lb one) could last you an entire year.

Try this search (without the city listed) so you can check on the map. Those feed stores will likely sell hay by the bale and even cheaper than Tractor Supply. (you can also ask Tractor Supply when they expect more hay in.)

That is crazy expensive!! I buy a full size bale. It will last 2 rabbits (5-7 lbs each) for at least 8 months and cost $17. I am overly generous with hay and put it in the litter box. By this calculation, a half bale (like that 50 lb one) could last you an entire year.
Does it stay fresh? I always worry about it staying around too long as I have only 1 bunny. He is very spoiled.

Does it stay fresh? I always worry about it staying around too long as I have only 1 bunny. He is very spoiled.
Depends on how it is stored. At those super cheap prices, you could throw half of it away and still come out way ahead as far as price goes.

Hay should be stored someplace dark and dry. You want to keep moisture from getting in (could cause mold). Some store it indoors in a closet or cardboard box. Plastic bins should have air holes. Cloth laundry bags could also work.

Latest posts

Back