How much greens to feed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just wondered how much greens you give your bunny each day? I vary mine each day with lettuce not iceberg. Herbs. Kale. Brocli. Just wondered how much daily?

Depends on who you ask, lol!

Seriously, though... even among the well-known rabbit "expert" groups, the recommendations vary.

In the last decade or so, I've been feeding 2-4 cups per day. Usually they will get just one thing (green leaf lettuce, for ex.) for several days, then something else (like basil) for several days. If my garden is doing well, I'll mix some mint or parsley in with the basil. What they get varies with the seasons.

1612460622151.png

In the UK, expert rabbit vets recommend about the size of bunny's head in fresh food. Rabbits have evolved to thrive on a very low calorie diet (mainly grass) and to spend many hours a day eating. Vegetables tend to have more calories than grass. Herbs are better, they are also easier to digest. Forage (plantain, dandelion, etc) is also great for them (in small quantities). But your old man can't eat hay, right? So, general guidelines won't apply to him. If he eats well and the droppings are good I would just continue doing what you're doing!

In the UK, expert rabbit vets recommend about the size of bunny's head in fresh food. Rabbits have evolved to thrive on a very low calorie diet (mainly grass) and to spend many hours a day eating. Vegetables tend to have more calories than grass. Herbs are better, they are also easier to digest. Forage (plantain, dandelion, etc) is also great for them (in small quantities). But your old man can't eat hay, right? So, general guidelines won't apply to him. If he eats well and the droppings are good I would just continue doing what you're doing!
Lol yes he’s an old boy but I have a 2 year old who is doing well but needs to get her weight down. I cut muesli out gradually and she now has varied lettuce and herbs kale varied daily. I give her about two good handfuls plus abundance of two hay types.

Lol yes he’s an old boy but I have a 2 year old who is doing well but needs to get her weight down. I cut muesli out gradually and she now has varied lettuce and herbs kale varied daily. I give her about two good handfuls plus abundance of two hay types.
Ah, yes, you're asking for the young lady! Well done cutting out the muesli. Reduce pellets to 1 tbsp a day. Amount of greens sounds OK as long as she is eating a lot of hay.

Yes I encourage her not that I see her eating lots but she does nibble it. I was thinking of getting a hay feeder to tempt her to pull it out too.

Hi everyone
Just wondered how much greens you give your bunny each day? I vary mine each day with lettuce not iceberg. Herbs. Kale. Brocli. Just wondered how much daily?
Lucy is a large rabbit. Most days I give her either romaine or cilantro. Sometimes I will give her 2. Yesterday we ran out of greens. So today hay only. I was trying to stretch groceries until Friday. Parsley is on sale at 1 store so maybe tonight or I will put in an order.

Latest posts

Back