How Much Greens After Surgery?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterscotch

Reaction score
Butterscotch got spayed yesterday and she is home recovering now. The vet did not send us home with any pain meds so I suspect she is not feeling very good. I gave her a thick, soft, clean fleece blanket to lay on and she has a low sided litter box full of fresh hay, which I saw her in this morning so that's great! She has a very reduced appetite, as expected, but she still goes crazy for her greens. She's a voracious greens eater and she can eat quite a bit without any side effects but that's always in combination with hay and pellets and only twice a day. I've been offering her 2 sprigs of cilantro and a romaine leaf every 2 hours, is that too much? She won't eat anything else except a tiny bit of oat and alfalfa hay. She had about 5 nice looking poops in her litter box this morning, no signs of diarrhea. She won't drink anything, so I wash the greens before I give them to her so they're nice and wet. She spends all her time laying flat on her side on her blanket.

Should I keep offering greens every few hours or try to cut back and get her to take some more hay?

Thank you!

I would give her as many greens as she'll take. You want her eating something and the veggies will also provide water.

Good to know, thank you! I was worried about giving her too much and causing poopy butt. So far she's handling this like a champ! I have two brave bunnies, I'm so proud of them. If this were me I'd be drowning in ibuprofen and ice cream, I'm sure.

Latest posts

Back