How much food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnoliaDee

Reaction score
I think I might have been giving Lego too many pellets per day... but since I put Jacub down (her mate) I've felt bad for her and I just wanted to do something nice. Didn't seem to be a problem and she wasn't putting on weight, so I hoped all would be o'kay. But her late problem with an upset tummy makes me wonder again if it's perhaps not such a good idea.

She's about 3.5 lbs, and I have been giving her just less than one level 1/4 cup morning and night. Probably I should be giving her 1/4 cup for the whole day right? I did do that when Jacub was first gone... but she was feeling too lite... like she was losing weight. And she was soo ravenous for her food, well I just decided to give her more.

btw... she'll be 8 years old this December and I'm feeding Martin Timmy Pellets.

Thanks,

Sandra

8 years old is a nice ripe age for a bunny, bravo to you for taking such good care of her. She's not quite geriatric, though, is she? I've heard that older buns need more nutrition and may be fed more under certain circumstances. A normal healthy adult bun at 3.5 lbs though -- I think ~1/2 cup a day is too steep. Do you find that she's eating less hay as a result of the recent increase in pellets? Since the increase has she gained any weight or is she the same weight? How much did you use to feed her?

How active is she? My vet gave me the go ahead to up my 3.4lb rabbit's pellets to up to 3/4 a cup. But I have a very energetic tan who is leaping on and about the furniture. As I type he's running around my computer chair and occasionally hopping up in my lap, giving me sniffs, and returning to circling and hopping into one of my bookshelves.

I started with a little less than half a cup, but he was going through it rather quickly, and then crashing much earlier in the evening. He lost a few ounces the first week he was here, so after upping his pellets a little he maintained the weight he came to me with.

He also has unlimited hay, and gets 4 small helping of greens (kale, parsley, or cilantro). I give him a leaf of kale each serving, or about 5-6 sprigs of parsley or cilantro. It all adds up to about 1 1/2- 2 cups of greens. It hasn't cost us much, but I will likely need to expand my garden when fairer weather comes up.

I know this year's Rabbit Magazine had an article just on senior rabbits. They shouldn't generally need any special food, but may need to eat a little less if they are less active to avoid becoming a chubby bunny. I would monitor the rabbit's weight and add or remove pellet amounts accordingly.

Latest posts

Back